When we got married I knew there were three foods my husband didn’t like. Coconut, raisins and tuna fish. I’ve basically made it my mission, these last 11 years, to get him to eat them AND like them. I’m happy to report I’ve succeeded. The two tuna fish recipes that won him over were my Thirty Minute Tuna Casserole and this awesome Albacore Tuna Salad with Apples, Celery and Red Onion.
This Tuna Salad Sandwich filling is delicious.
Because it is made with Albacore Tuna it doesn’t have a strong fishy taste. In fact, most people I serve it to think it’s chicken.
It is even a nice healthy choice as we all strive to get back to healthier eating habits now that the holidays have passed.
Every time I make this for family or friends they love it and ask for the recipe. I am sure this will become your favorite way to make a tuna sandwich just like it has become mine.
I like to eat mine on an onion bagel but I rarely have bagels around so toasted wheat bread is my second favorite.
- 2 cans, albacore tuna, drained
- 1 gala apple, cut in bite size pieces
- ¼ cup red onion, finely diced
- 1 celery stack, thinkly sliced
- ¼ cup sour cream or greek yogurt
- ¼-1/3 cup mayo (may need a tiny bit more)
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- pinch of poultry seasoning, optional
- Mix everything together in a medium sized bowl, salt and pepper to taste, I get pretty generous with the pepper.
- Serve on sandwich bread, bagels or in a wrap. I prefer to toast the bread, but do whatever you please
- Store leftovers in an air tight container in the fridge.