Best ever, easy dinner that will have the whole family licking their fingers. These sticky Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken Thighs are my new go to meal for busy nights.
A few years ago I saw a recipe on Mel’s Kitchen Cafe for Sweet and Sour Chicken. Despite my dislike of all things sweet and sour I decided to try it because it had such raving reviews. The reviews were right! It was AWESOME! Not at all like most sweet and sour things I’ve tried. It’s one of our families favorite meals. However, it is a little time intensive so I don’t make it very often.
A few months ago I realized I could get very similar results with much less effort by sprinkling flour over chicken thighs and baking them in the oven with the sauce. The whole family loves it. We serve them with white rice and either green beans or broccoli.
**To make it Gluten free sprinkle corn starch instead of flour
These Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken Thighs are a must make and perfect for busy school nights.
- 8 chicken thighs, bone in, skin removed
- 3-4 tablespoons flour or cornstarch if you want it gluten free
- Salt and Pepper
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup ketchup
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Sprinkle bottom of a 9x13 pan with 1-2 tbsp flour and generously sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place Chicken thighs in top side down. Sprinkle remaining 1-2 tbsp of flour on the thighs and again salt and pepper.
- Make sauce by whisking together, sugar, ketchup, vinegar, soy sauce and garlic salt.
- Pour sauce over thighs.
- Bake in oven for 1½ hours if thawed, or 2 hours if partly frozen. Turn once half way through cooking.
- Serve with rice and veggies. Can use sauce from the chicken on the rice.
Enjoy! YUM! YUM! YUM!