Broccoli Chicken Casserole with Egg Noodles is a comforting, delicious dinner. It can be thrown together in 30 minutes. All in all, it’s a great weeknight dinner.
I usually use canned soup when I make this because it is so fast, but you can easily make a chicken flavored white sauce to use in place of the canned soup. This is a great option if you don’t like using canned soups or if you need to make it gluten free.
I also use pre-cooked chicken that I try to keep stocked in my freezer. I usually do a large batch once every couple weeks so I can have it on hand for quick meals like this. Rotisserie chicken or canned chicken works great too.
Another tip for making this in 30 minutes is to use a steamer stock pot to cook your noodles and broccoli at the same time, or you can use the steam-able microwave broccoli and cook it in the microwave while the noodles are cooking.
Little tips like these can save you time and make the process of making dinner less overwhelming.
Because this meal already has meat, veggies and noodles in it, I typically just serve it with some fruit.
We love this simple dinner and my kids are always happy when they see it coming to the table. Surprisingly, my pickiest one, Trever (the 2 year old) always eats at least three servings of this casserole.
Give it a try and see if even your picky ones will want seconds and thirds of this comforting casserole like my Trever does.
- 1 (16 oz) package egg noodles, cooked (make sure to salt the water)
- 1 lb of broccoli florets
- 2 cups chicken breast, cooked and shredded
- 1 can cream of chicken soup or two cups of chicken flavored white sauce
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ½ cup milk or noodle water
- ½ tsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large pot, cook the noodles according to package directions (I use my big stock steamer pot and cook the broccoli on top at the same time)
- Cook Broccoli
- Drain water out of the noodles, reserve a little if you plan to use it for the liquid instead of milk.
- Add the chicken, broccoli, condensed soup, milk or water, sour cream, lemon juice and onion powder. Mix well until everything is coated with sauce.
- Pour into a 9x13 pan and sprinkle with cheese on top. Put under the broiler until cheese is melted.
- Sprinkle with parsley if desired and serve.