Bacon, cheese, broccoli and onions are all you need to get this yummy salad started.
Broccoli Salad is a family favorite and served at basically every large family function or celebration. It also happens to be one of my husbands favorite salads so if I ever ask his opinion on what salad I should take to a picnic or potluck, Broccoli Salad is always his first suggestion.
There are a million different ways you can make broccoli Salad, butI tend to stick to the classic, basic ingredients.
As basic as the ingredients are there are two things I have noticed make a difference. The cheese really does need to be sharp cheddar and the onion needs to be a red onion. Something about the sharp cheddar really brings all the flavors together nicely and the mild sweet flavor of the red onion is also a must.
- 2-3 heads broccoli, cut into 1 inch pieces
- ½ cup red onion, chopped
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup cooked bacon pieces
- 1 cup real mayonnaise
- ⅓ cup white sugar
- 3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- Combine broccoli, onion, cheese and bacon in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl thoroughly combine mayonnaise, vinegar and sugar.
- Pour dressing over salad and mix until evenly coated.
- Cover and keep refrigerated.
Keep it Real!!!