When I was looking through an old cookbook and came across a recipe for Gingerbread Waffles, I just had to give it a try.
AMAZING!!! Why had I never thought of how awesome gingerbread would be in waffle form. It is the PERFECT breakfast for this holiday season. The whipped cream and bananas on top complete the deliciousness.
I knew the Gingerbread Waffles would be a hit with my kids because my kids are Gingerbread Cake lovers. In fact both of them have informed me that they want Gingerbread Cake for their birthdays this year…HA! I should have them put that in writing.
As I was cooking them I couldn’t stop sneaking little pieces, I ended up eating a whole waffle before I was finished cooking them. They are so tasty!
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup molasses
1 cup milk
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp ground cloves or allspice
- Preheat waffle iron to the setting you usually cook waffles on (on mine it is between 2 and 3)
- In mixing bowl or in your mixer, combine butter, sugar, and molasses. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Add eggs and mix until incorporated and then add milk and mix until completely combined
- In a separate bowl combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ground ginger, salt and ground cloves or allspice. Mix all dry ingredients together and then add to molasses mixture and mix until combined.
- Spray waffle Iron with cooking spray before cooking each waffle so they won’t stick. Pour approx 1/2 cup of batter in center and cook until done.
- Remove carefully with tongs or a fork. Repeat until all waffles are cooked (Approximately 10 Waffles)
- Serve with Whipped Cream and Banana slices if desired
*Recipe slightly adapted from “Where’s Mom Now That I Need Her,” page 65 Gingerbread Waffles
Keep it Real!!!