Creamy filling with a perfect puff pastry shell crust and a drizzle of chocolate sauce…what’s not to like. This Eclair Cream Puff Dessert is one of those awesome desserts that looks fancy, but is simple to make and uses super normal ingredients that you probably have in your house right now.
We love this dessert so much, I have turned it into a pie recipe too. My oldest son always requests a “Zebra Pie” for his birthday.
There is something about the delicious filling paired with the puffy pastry shell crust that just works and works WELL!
This recipe makes a big cookie sheet of dessert so it’s perfect for when you have company or a pot-luck to take a dessert to.
I love, love this dessert. It’s so light and delicious it’s tempting to eat the whole pan yourself. Last time I made this, I may or may not have hidden the leftovers in the down stairs fridge and eaten a generous serving everyday at nap time. I feel really good about that.
Make it for a crowd, make it for yourself, I don’t care who you make it for, just make it. You won’t regret it.
- ½ cup butter or margarine
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup flour
- 4 eggs
- 1 (8oz) cream cheese, softened
- 2 (3 oz) packages instant vanilla pudding
- 3 cups cold milk
- 1 8 ounce tub of cool whip
- Chocolate Syrup for drizzling
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- in a small saucepan, bring butter (or margarine) and water to a boil. Remove from heat and quickly whisk in the flour until it forms a smooth ball. Let stand for about five minutes and then beat in eggs one at a time using your whisk, or you can transfer the dough ball to your mixer and add the eggs one at a time in it.
- Spread mixture evenly onto a greased 15x10x1 cookie sheet. Bake for 22-25 minutes or until starting to turn golden brown. It will be bubbly looking. You can poke the largest bubbles down if you want.
- Let crust cool and then make filling.
- For filling beat the cream cheese with a hand mixer in a medium sized bowl. Very slowly add the milk as you beat it. If you do just a little at a time it will help prevent little balls of cream cheese in the filling mixture. Once you have all the milk mixed into the cream cheese, add the packages of instant pudding and mix well.
- Pour mixture onto the cooled crust and spread evenly.
- Next add the layer of cool whip. I like to put spoonfuls of cool whip evenly spaced over the whole dessert and then carefully spread it. This makes it a little easier to spread evenly.
- For the final touch, drizzle chocolate sauce back and forth across the length of the dessert. You can then take a butter knife and drag it back and forth to get the look you see in the picture.