The texture and flavor are about a million times better then the store bought version. No offense Mr. Quaker!
Start to finish the prep and recipe only took about 10 minutes. The base is prepared in the microwave and then you just mix in the rest of the ingredients, and press into a 8×8 pan.
These are definitely the best granola bars I have ever made!
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup butter
- 3 tbsp karo syrup or honey
- 1 cup marshmallows, divided
- ¼ tsp vanilla
- pinch of salt
- 1½ cups rice crispies
- 1¼ cup quick oats
- 3 large graham crackers, roughly chopped into small pieces
- 2 tbsp flax meal (optional)
- ⅓ cup milk chocolate chips
- Butter a 8x8 or 9x9 baking dish and set it aside. You can line it with parchment paper instead if you prefer.
- In a glass microwave safe dish combine, brown sugar, butter and karo syrup. Microwave for 1.5-2 minutes or until mixture is melted together. Stir well and return to the microwave for another 60-90 seconds..
- Mixture should appear to be "boiling" and sugar should be mostly if not all dissolved when you take it out, return for 20-30 more seconds.
- Stir and add ½ cup of marshmallows, stir well and return to microwave for 30 seconds.
- Stir well again and add rice crispies, oatmeal, and flax meal.
- Next stir in the graham crackers.
- The final step is to stir in the remaining marshmallows and chocolate chips. You want to do this quickly right before pressing it into the prepared pan so the chocolate chips will not melt and spread throughout the granola bar.
- Pour them in, stir until just combined, and then quickly pour mixture into pan and carefully use your hand to press it down firmly. Let cool completely before cutting them into bars.
- You can wrap the bars individually and store in an air tight container for up to a week.
P.S. If your kids like granola bars, try these fun and easy Granola Bar Bites.