I went from making lasagna once every three years, to making it at least monthly. It’s a simple meal I can throw together in a matter of minutes and it only needs to bake for 45-60 minutes. Awesome weeknight dinner.
I have a veggie version I make frequently, but every so often I don’t have time or don’t feel like sauteing veggies, so I make this super simple meatless version.
You can use whatever sauce, homemade or store bought, that you want. I have started making this Amazing Homemade Spaghetti Sauce in large batches and freezing it in 4 cup portions. I’m not kidding it really is amazing and it makes fabulous lasagna or stuffed shells.
The filling is also very versatile, you can use cottage cheese or ricotta cheese for the base. My kids like cottage cheese better, but I prefer ricotta.
Alright, I think that covers all the important stuff, lets get to the recipe.
Oh wait…don’t forget to check out the Amazing Homemade Spaghetti Sauce recipe.
- 10 dry lasagna noodles
- 1 bottle or can of your favorite spaghetti sauce, or 3-4 cups of homemade sauce
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 large clove garlic, crushed or ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp sugar, divided
- ½ tsp basil or Italian Seasoning
- 1 16 ounce container cottage cheese or Ricotta Cheese
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp Parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp dried parsley (optional)
- 2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a medium size bowl combine jar of sauce (or homemade sauce), can of tomatoes, garlic (or powder), 1 tsp sugar, ½ tsp basil or Italian seasoning. Mix well and pour half of mixture into bottom of a 9x13 pan.
- arrange 4-5 noodles over sauce, you will need to break one into pieces to get it to fit on the one side.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine cottage or ricotta cheese with one egg, parmeasean cheese if desired, 1 tsp sugar and 2 tbsp dried parsley (optional). Mix well and spread over dry noodle layer.
- Top Cheese mixture with remaining dry noodles in same manor that you put down first noodle layer. Pour remaining sauce over the dry noodles. Cover with tinfoil and bake for 40-45 minutes at 350.
- After 40-45 minutes remove foil and sprinkle mozzarella cheese evenly over cooking lasagna. Return to over for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted and noodles are soft and tender when poked with fork.
- Let set for 5-10 minutes before cutting.
Serve with a salad and garlic bread! Yummy!
Keep it Real!