This family-sized Sheet Pan Smothered Burrito recipe is so fun, and so easy, and so delicious. It’s the trifecta of dinner time happiness.
Shredded chicken and black beans make up a big part of the tex-mex filling and the enchilada sauce and melted cheese on top, tie all the flavors together perfectly.
I’ve made this numerous times for company and for friends after they have had a baby. Every time it has been a hit. People love this easy dinner.
I always serve this with our favorite Baked Spanish Rice and I also love to throw together some guacamole or a fresh salad of romaine, avocado, tomato, green onions, and cilantro tossed in a little olive oil, lime juice and salt and pepper.
I love to get a little bite of the lime-dressed salad and the burrito on the fork at the same time. It’s heaven people. Such a great flavor combination.
Give this delicious Sheet Pan Smothered Burrito a try. It’s a great comforting, quick and easy dinner that will have you licking your lips.
- 8 regular sized tortillas (you can use burrito size if you want)
- 2 cups cooked and shredded chicken breast (canned or rotisserie chicken works great in this recipe)
- 1 (15 ounce) can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn or a 15 ounce can of Del Monte Fiesta Corn with red and green peppers
- ⅓ cup finely diced onion
- ¼ cup finely diced poblano pepper (optional)
- 1 large segment of garlic, crushed (about 1 tsp if using jarred garlic)
- 1 can mild Rotel,drained
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp paprika, I like smoked paprika
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 1 (10 ounce) can Mild Enchilada Sauce
- 2 cups cheddar or colby jack cheese, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
- Lightly spray a large cookie sheet with cooking spray and line it with six of the tortillas, they should be hanging a couple inches over the edges of the pan. set aside
- In a microwave safe bowl, combine the chicken, black beans, corn, onion, poblano pepper, garlic, rotel, cumin, paprika, salt and ⅓ of the can of enchilada sauce. Microwave for 4 minutes stirring half way through cooking time.
- Spread the mixture out on the tortillas you placed on the pan earlier. Be careful not to spread the mixture past the edge of the pan.
- Place the remaining two tortillas over the center of the mixture and then fold in the edges from the bottom tortillas to completely cover the chicken mixture. Sometimes I have to manipulate and tear pieces off to get it to be completely covered. Don't worry, everything will soon be smothered in sauce and cheese so imperfections will not show.
- Bake the big burrito for 15 minutes, remove and spread remaining enchilada sauce over the burrito and top with cheese. return to oven for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Use a pizza cutter to slice giant burrito into squares and serve with your favorite sides: rice, salad, guacamole, sour cream, olives....
Don't forget Rice and Beans