Our church meetings got moved to afternoon and it’s kinda killing me. I’m beginning to realize that if we are going to eat anything that resembles a decent dinner on Sundays it’s going to have to be a slow cooker meal. This Slow Cooker Creamy Verde Chicken is one of our new favorites.
Not only is this recipe awesome because it is ready when we get home from church, but it is so easy to throw together before we leave. I just put everything in, give it a stir and viola! It’s ready when we get home.
I also love this recipe because you don’t have to add any creamed soups and still get a delicious creamy texture from the cream cheese. I cut the 8 ounce block of cream cheese into small squares so that it distributes in the sauce better.
When everything is done cooking, you might still see a few pieces of cream cheese that don’t look like they melted enough. Don’t worry, just stir everything up really well and they will incorporate nicely, they just need a little encouragement.
Depending on how spicy you like things you may want to add more then the 1 cup of verde (green) salsa the recipe calls for. I buy the Herdez brand of verde salsa and it is medium heat. I only use one cup so it won’t be too spicy for my little kids. To be honest, the finished product isn’t very spicy at all with one cup, but if you want to add a little more heat, add two cups and that should take it up a notch.
If you don’t have verde salsa and still want to make this, use your favorite salsa and it will still come out delicious.
We prefer to eat this served over rice and topped with cheese and crushed corn chips, or if you prefer you can scoop it up with corn chips instead of crushing them on top.
This recipe is also gluten free.
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups precooked shredded or cubed chicken
- 1½ cups frozen corn or a 15 ounce can, drained
- 1 8 ounce package of cream cheese, cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1 cup Salsa Verde (green salsa, I use the Herdez brand)
- 2 tsp chicken bullion
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Rice, Cheese and Corn chips, for serving
- In your slow cooker combine, black beans, chicken, corn, cream cheese, salsa verde, chicken bullion, cumin, and ½ cup water. Stir and cook on low for 4-6 hours.
- Before serving stir in chopped cilantro.
- Serve over rice and top with cheese, and crushed corn chips if desired. Or if you prefer dip corn chips in rice, sauce mixture. Also taste good with rice rolled up in a tortilla.