Stove Top Chicken and Vegetable Curry
What this dish lacks in beauty it makes up for in taste! I got this recipe from a friend a little over a year ago and it has been a family favorite ever since.
When I first saw the recipe I was skeptical, I get a little worried anytime recipes that are supposed to be savory have cinnamon in them, but I quickly (as in the first bite) realized that the subtle undertone of the cinnamon mixed with the curry is what makes this meal AWESOME!
I love that you can use whatever vegetables you have on hand, they can be fresh or frozen….the recipe is very forgiving. I have made it with about every combination of vegetables imaginable and it has always turned out great.
I almost always use pre-cooked shredded chicken that I pull out of the freezer for the protein source, but I used leftover shredded pork once and it was just as delicious!
My kids are obsessed with chow mein noodles and think they need to go on anything that is served over rice, so even though it is strange to pull them out when we are having curry for dinner, they do add a nice little crunch.
My kids also love to put a little soy sauce on it, I know, they are kind of weird, but I have to admit it is pretty tasty.
I made this for a friend the other day and she asked me for the recipe because her teenage sons pounded it. She has already made it again for them and she said they devoured it again.
Like I said, it may not be the prettiest dinner you ever make, but trust me….it’s delicious and it’s a healthy fast dinner for busy nights!
- 1 large onion, large chopped or thinly wedged
- 2 cups raw potatoes, cut in 1 inch cubes
- 1-2 cups carrots sliced ½ inch thick
- 1 bell pepper (any color) cut into 1 inch pieces
- 3-4 cups vegetables of your choice (I use frozen green beans, califlower, broccoli and spinach)
- 2 tbsp oil, canola or olive oil
- 1-2 cups shredded or cubed chicken (precooked)
- 1½ tsp seasoning salt (I use McCormick)
- Cinnamon (approx 1 tsp)
- 4-5 tsp curry powder
- Salt to taste
- Don't forget to start rice in your rice cooker or on the stove top.
- Put oil in bottom of a large deep pan on your stove top turn on to medium high
- Add onion, potato, carrots, and pepper
- Sprinkle with seasoning salt and stir as you cook for about 3-4 minutes
- sprinkle a thin layer of cinnamon over vegetables, approx 1 tsp
- stir and continue cooking for 4-5 more minutes or until veggies are getting tender
- Add other vegetables and chicken If using spinach do not add it yet)
- Sprinkle 4 tsp of of curry over everything
- Stir add a little water if veggies are sticking to bottom of pan
- Cover and let cook until all veggies are tender, stirring occasionally.
- To test flavor run your finger on the spoon you have been stirring with and taste it. Add more salt and curry or even cinnamon if necessary.
- If adding spinach, put it in when everything is tender and you are just about to serve.
- Stir it around and cover, the spinach will be ready by the time you serve it.
- Serve over rice
Keep it Real!