Sometimes the hardest part of writing a recipe post is coming up with a name for the recipe. I couldn’t think of one that does this fantastically delicious dessert justice. I went with Strawberry Lemonade Pie because it’s short and sweet, but it’s really important that you know this is so much more then that. It’s a creamy tart lemon pie (very similar to key lime pie) drizzled with a simple strawberry syrup and topped with homemade whipped cream.
The flavors in this pie will literally make your eyes pop open and your mouth dance. I have to say that out of all the dessert recipes I’ve created in my life this is probably my favorite.
The best part is that, not only is it DELICIOUS, it’s also super easy to make. We’re talking a filling that only has 1 lemon, 1 cup of sour cream and 1 can sweet and condensed milk.
A word about the crust.
Personally I like the flavor of homemade graham cracker crusts more then the pre-made type from the store, don’t get me wrong, I’m not trying to sound like a pie crust snob, I still use those. However, when I have the time, I definitely prefer to make a homemade graham cracker crust. The homemade crust has a little bit more of a buttery, somewhat caramelized flavor that really makes my taste buds happy. But i will not hate you if you go with a pre-made one for convenience.
The strawberry syrup glaze is just pureed strawberries, sugar, a little water and a tiny squirt of lemon juice. I can’t tell you what a perfect match this syrup is for the tart lemon pie. SOOOO GOOOOOD!
Finish it off with a dollop of creamy homemade whipped cream and friends, wowza, every part of your tongue will be doing the cha cha!
I made a Facebook Live video earlier this week, so I could show you how easy this recipe is and to PLEAD with you to make, it or have someone make it for you, for Mothers Day.
I love that this tastes like a fancy cheesecake type dessert but only takes minutes to whip up and minimal ingredients. Did I mention it only bakes in the oven for 10-15 minutes depending on if you precook your crust.
You do need to make it far enough in advance that you can put it in the fridge for at least a couple hours after it cools before you serve it. The strawberry syrup also needs to be completely cooled and chilled before serving.
I can’t tell you how highly I recommend making this for Mother’s Day, Baby or Bridal Showers, or basically any spring or summer shindig that calls for dessert. People will rave!
- 1 sleeve of graham crackers, crushed into crumbs (about 1½ cups of crumbs)
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 6 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 can sweet and condensed milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- the zest and juice of one large lemon (approx 1 tbsp zest and ¼-1/3 cup juice
- 2 cups strawberries
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼-1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- If making your own crust, combine graham cracker crumbs, granulated sugar and melted butter, mix until completely combined and press into the bottom of a pie pan. If you don't have one you can use a 9 inch circle cake pan or a 8x8 baking dish.
- Bake crust for 5-7 minutes. If using a dark dish only bake it for 5 minutes
- While crust is baking, combine the sweet and condensed milk, sour cream, lemon zest and lemon juice in a medium sized bowl Whisk together until smooth.
- When the crust finishes baking remove it from the oven and pour the filling in. Bake for another 10 minutes. Remove from oven an let cool completely. Once pie is cooled, cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving. Can make up to two days ahead of serving if needed.
- Make the Strawberry syrup (you can do this while pie cooks or after) by pureeing the two cups of strawberries, it will end up being about a cup of puree. Pour it into a sauce pan and add ½ cup of granulated sugar. Bring to a boil, stirring often. Once it is boiling, reduce heat to a heavy simmer and stir continuously for 4-6 minutes or until syrup starts to thicken, Add lemon juice and remove from heat. Syrup will continue to thicken as it cools.
- Store syrup in an airtight container in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Right before serving make whipping cream by combining heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar and vanilla in a mixing bowl and beating on high with a hand mixer, or in your mixer, until it thickens and can hold it's shape.
- Serve pie by drizzling a tbsp of strawberry syrup over each piece and finishing it off with a dollop of homemade whipping cream. Enjoy!