Taco Salad with Catalina Dressing
I interrupt the Christmas Goodie Train, to bring you a rock’n awesome and simple salad that I had completely forgotten about!
My friend Michelle messaged me the other day asking for a recipe I had made for her about four years ago. It was this super good Taco Salad! How could I have forgotten about this salad! It was one of my FAVORITES and somehow I forgot about it. I haven’t made it for at least three years.
From the minute she messaged me on Friday, it was all I could think about. I picked up the ingredients on Saturday and made it last night for Dinner! YUM!!!!!!
I got this recipe from a friend when we lived in Texarkana. Heidi would bring it to church potlucks and I would eat about half the bowl myself! I loved those potlucks, that’s where I got another one of my favorite recipes.
You can use ground beef or turkey and whatever bean is your favorite, I suggest kidney, black or pinto. Where I live I can only find Catalina dressing from Kraft, but other brands may make it as well. You can use whatever corn chips you want, but I think the Doritos make it extra delicious!
- 2 Romaine hearts, chopped
- 1-2 lb browned hamburger or ground turkey (I season mine with a little chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin and salt and pepper to taste...you could also add a little taco seasoning if you prefer)
- 1-2 can's beans of your choice, drained (I use kidney, black beans or pinto beans)
- 1 can olives, sliced
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- ½ cup sliced red onion or green onions
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes, Roma or grape tomatoes work great
- Catalina salad dressing
- Doritos corn chips, slightly crushed
- Mix everything except chips and dressing in a large salad bowl.
- Just prior to serving add the chips and dressing (just enough to lightly coat the salad)
- Toss until salad is lightly coated in dressing and serve immediately.
- If making individual salads:
- Place amount of each ingredient that you would like in a bowl large enough to toss the salad.
- Add dressing and chips
- Toss and pour out onto serving plate or just eat in the bowl if you prefer.
I am SOOOO glad Michelle reminded me about this salad. All but one of my kids loved it…they even asked for it for lunch today…..I may or may not have eaten it for breakfast. This is going back on our radar for the dinner menu!
Keep it Real!