My mom used to make Tapioca Pudding all the time when I was younger. It is one of those desserts that makes me feel all kinds of nostalgic.
I got this recipe from my mom. She got it off the back of a Minute Tapioca package. My package of Minute Tapioca (you can find it in a little red box over by the Pudding and Jello in your local grocery store) had a different recipe on the back.
My box said you needed to whip the egg white with half of the sugar and fold it in at the end…..No thanks, too involved. My mom’s recipe is super easy no fancy whipping or folding anything in, just heat and stir until it comes to a full boil and add a little vanilla. EASY!
- ⅓ cup granulated white sugar
- 2¾ cup milk
- 3 tbsp Minute Tapioca
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla
- In a sauce pan combine sugar, milk, minute tapioca, and the beaten egg. Stir and let set for 5 minutes before turning on the burner.
- After 5 minutes turn burner to medium and stir mixture constantly while you wait for it to come to a rolling boil. This will take approx 10-15 minutes (a rolling boil is a when a mixture continues to boil even while being constantly stirred)
- When pudding comes to a rolling boil, remove it from heat and stir in 1 tsp of vanilla.
- Allow pudding to cool. I put mine in the fridge.
- Makes six ½ cup servings
The six 1/2 cup servings go pretty fast so if you have a house full of tapioca pudding lovers, like I do, I suggest you double it.
Keep it Real!!!