Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies with Oatmeal and Ground Almonds
Making cookies with healthy ingredients helps me feel justified in eating them for breakfast. So I’m always experimenting with adding healthier ingredients to my favorite cookie recipes.
This experiment turned out AMAZING!
You know how sometimes you can tell when healthy ingredients have been added to recipes and sometimes you can’t. This is definitely one of those recipes where you CAN’T. They.are.FANTASTIC!
To make these tasty Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies with Oatmeal and Ground Almonds, I started by swapping out half of the butter for coconut oil. I love the hint of coconut you get when you add un-refined coconut oil to cookies.
Next I ground up one cup of quick oats with one cup of almonds in my food processor until they were dust. I used this almond/oatmeal dust to replace two cups of flour.
Then I swapped a cup of whole wheat flour for a cup of all-purpose flour. (I cooked a batch this way, with just the one cup of flour, they tasted amazing but were really flat and not pretty at all. I added 1/4 cup all-purpose flour to the remaining dough and the cookies came out looking like they do in the pictures and of course, still tasted amazing.)
I left the sugars, vanilla, baking soda and baking powder alone and I used coarse sea salt instead of regular table salt. (if you aren’t already using course salt when you make chocolate chip cookies, you need to start. It makes them so good, with a little extra bite of salt combined with the chocolate. YUM!)
The recipe made four dozen cookies and judging by the fact that their are only 7 cookies left and we only gave six away to a friend means that my little family basically ate three dozen cookies this afternoon. Yikes….I am not going to admit how many I devoured.
But hey, with all that healthy oatmeal, ground almonds and whole wheat flour, we don’t need to feel too guilty…right.
- ½ cup softened butter
- ½ cup un-refined coconut oil
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp course sea salt
- 1 cup quick oats, ground*
- 1 cup almonds, ground*
- 1 cup whole wheat flour, I used white wheat flour
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour (you can omit this and have a flatter cookie, it will still taste great)
- 2 cups chocolate chips, we like semi-sweet
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Prepare two cookie sheets with parchment paper or cooking spray, set aside
- In your food processes or powerful blender, combine the *quick oats and almonds and process them on high until they are like dust.
- In your stand mixer with the paddle attachment or with a hand mixer, cream the butter, coconut oil, and sugars for 1 minute
- Add eggs and vanilla and mix until combined
- Add baking soda, baking powder, and salt and mix for a few seconds. Then add ground oatmeal/almond mixture, whole wheat flour and all purpose flour (add these one a cup at a time and mix on low until combined) Add two cups of chocolate chips.
- Using a cookie scoop drop 2 tbsp size balls of dough two inches apart on cookie sheet. Bake at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes or until edges are just starting to brown
- Leave on cookie sheet for 1-2 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.