I have a fan-freaking-tastic pumpkin square recipe. I got it years ago from a woman at my church. I make it at least 5 times every fall for every, and any, excuse I can find.
A few nights ago I was looking at Pinterest and saw this recipe for Pumpkin Spice Sheet Cake with Burnt Butter Icing. I knew immediately I needed to try making my favorite pumpkin squares with burnt butter icing instead of the cream cheese frosting my recipe calls for.
The results were phenomenal! So So So delicious! I took them to a pot luck and was bummed there weren’t any left for me to enjoy when I got home…so I made some more and took pictures this time so I could share the recipe with you.
The burnt butter icing with just a hint of cinnamon is the PERFECT compliment to these spongy , spiced pumpkin bars.
You’ve got to find and excuse to make these as soon as possible. They’ll be your new favorite fall treat.
- 4 eggs
- 1½ cups sugar
- 1 cup oil
- 1 15 oz. can pumpkin
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- Pinch of nutmeg, optional
- ½ cup burnt butter (melt butter in sauce pan until it "burns" turns brown, remove immediately from heat once it turns brown, cool completely, If you are in a hurry you can put the butter in the fridge to cool)
- 3½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 2-4 tbsp milk or cream
- Mix eggs, sugar, oil and pumpkin until creamy.
- Add all dry ingredients and mix well.
- Pour into a lightly greased cookie sheet approx. 18″x13″. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool completely. Before frosting
- Make frosting recipe by combining the powdered sugar, cinnamon, salt, vanilla and burnt butter, use your stand mixer or hand mixer and beat on medium high adding milk or cream one tbsp at a time until icing reaches consistency you desire. Spread frosting on completely cooled bars.
More delicious Fall desserts