How much do we love super simple recipes that make us look good? This simple Bacon Wrapped Roasted Asparagus recipe is right up our alley.
First of all lets talk about how delicious roasted vegetables are. Any vegetable tossed in olive oil, sprinkled with sea salt and roasted is basically more delicious than candy.
The olive oil and sea salt and the slight char from roasting bring out the sweetness of the veggies and make them absolutely delicious.
Asparagus is no different. The really neat thing that happens when you do this roasting method to asparagus that has been wrapped in bacon…is that the bacon grease soaks into the tops of the asparagus that are getting nice and crispy from the roasting process and so when you eat those crispy little tops it taste just like crispy bacon. It’s amazing.
My kids, who are typically very cautious of veggies we don’t eat on a regular basis…like asparagus…were more than happy to eat these delicious roasted asparagus bacon bundles. Thatcher even said he wanted to take some in his school lunch the next day.
I used one package (approx 1 lb) of asparagus to make these and it took about 1/3 a pound of bacon. I used one strip of bacon to bundle four or five spears of asparagus together.
Before I bundled them I tossed the asparagus spears in olive oil and a little course sea salt. The bacon adds more salty flavor so you only need a little salt.
I roasted them on a non-greased cookie sheet in a 400 degree oven for about 25-30 minutes turning them half way through so the bacon gets equally crispy on both sides.
Yum! These are delicious and such a simple way to look like a fabulous cook.
They could be a great appetizer or pair well with fish, or poultry or even meatloaf.
- 30-40 Asparagus spears (aprox 1 lb depending on how thick they are)
- 8 slices of bacon
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp course sea salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Wash and prepare asparagus by snapping off the ends, (not the crowns, the ends that look slightly pink or purple)
- Dry the asparagus spears and put them in a bowl with the olive oil and sea salt. Toss to coat.
- take 4 or 5 spears out and bundle them together by holding them tightly and wrapping a slice of bacon around them.
- Set them down on a non-greased cookie sheet or in a baking dish
- Leave an inch or two between each bundle, I like to turn mine alternate directions as I go (see pictures)
- Bake at 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes, turning once after about 10-12 minutes of cooking time to help bacon crisp on all sides.
- Remove and serve while still warm.