This really is the Best Ever Banana Bundt Cake Recipe….and the Cream Cheese Frosting……you’ll hear angels singing after one bite!
This recipe is a treasure.
Print this out and go stick it in the family Bible. Your grand children will thank you.
Once upon a time I needed to use up some ripe bananas. I also needed to take a cake to a church activity that night so…. I googled banana cake and found this recipe. The recipe claimed to be the best ever. I gave it a shot. Turns out it really was the best banana cake I’d ever had.
Over the passing years I’ve tweaked the recipe just a little to better fit my cooking style and I gotta admit, I like it a little better my way.
….and I also feel like it is really important to cook it in a Bundt Pan.
One of the most important steps in this recipe is freezing the cake (in the pan) immediately after removing it from the oven. I put a hot pad down in my freezer so the hot pan won’t defrost anything.
It looks like this when I take it out. Run a knife along the edges and around the center tube before turning it out onto your cake stand or plate.
I like to put big dollops of frosting along the top and then use a spoon to gently push them down until the cake is evenly frosted.
This cake is sooooo tasty and I’m so excited because I recently discovered another way to frost it that is AMAZING and super indulgent….I’ll be sharing it soon.
For now, take a minute to enjoy the perfection of the moist banana cake with yummy cream cheese icing. You’re going to love it!
*If you choose to make this cake in a 9×13 pan instead of a bundt pan lower the cooking temp to 275 degrees but still cook for 50-70 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
**The cooking time will vary greatly depending on if you use room temp bananas or frozen bananas. I suggest that if you are using frozen bananas to let them sit out and come to room temp before mixing up the cake.
I use this bundt pan, it’s affordable and works really well.
- ½ cup softened butter
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 2⅛ cup sugar
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1½ cup buttermilk, (i use sour milk* or ½ plain yogurt half milk if I don't have butter milk)
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups smashed very ripe bananas, I use 3 or 4 bananas
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Grease and flour a bundt pan and set aside
- Smash the bananas and mix in the 2 tsp of lemon juice and set aside
- Using a hand mixer or your stand mixer combine, butter, oil and sugar and mix thoroughly
- Add eggs one at a time and mix just until combined
- Add vanilla, salt, and butter milk. Mix well, scrape edges and bottom of bowl to make sure everything is well combined
- Add baking soda and flour mix gently and then add bananas and mix gently again.
- Pour the cake batter evenly into the greased and floured bundt pan (do not fill bundt pan more than ⅔ full) and bake in the 350 degree oven for 50-60 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Immediately after removing cake from oven. Put cake (still in the pan) into your freezer and freeze for 45-60 minutes.
- Remove and frost with Cream Cheese Icing. I use ½ cup softened butter, 1 (8 ounce) softened cream cheese, 1 tsp vanilla and three cups of powdered sugar. I use salted butter, if yours is not salted add a pinch of salt.
- Thanks for making my recipe. If you like this cake, you've gotta try myOUT OF THIS WORLD CARROT CAKE. You will LOVE it!
*Remember, you can make your own sour milk if you do not have butter milk. Add 1 1/2 tsp lemon juice or white vinegar to 1 1/2 cup milk.