Years ago, my Aunt Diane shared this Blueberry Jello Salad recipe with my mom, and my mom’s been making it for holiday dinners ever since. It has become a family favorite and we look forward to seeing it at Christmas and Easter every year. I’m my mother’s daughter, and I find myself wanting to make sure some form of Jello salad makes an appearance at pretty much every family dinner, too. One of my other favorites is this Five Minute Orange Fluff Jello Salad.
My favorite part of this dessert is definitely the topping. It is so yummy! The topping is made from a mixture of cream cheese, sour cream, and sugar. It seems like it would be a strange combination, but it is the perfect complement to the tart berry Jello.
Whether you make it for your Thanksgiving or Christmas Dinner, this Blueberry Jello Salad is sure to be a hit with your family!
More Traditional Family Favorites
- The Best Gingerbread Cake
- Classic Chocolate Fudge
- Yummy Funeral Potatoes
- Out of This World Carrot Cake
- Cranberry Salsa
- Caramel Corn Puffs
How to Make blueberry jello salad
Frequently Asked Questions About Making Blueberry Jello Salad
is it ok to use raspberry or blackberry jello instead of strawberry?
Yes! The original recipe from my aunt says to use strawberry Jello, but I have seen a similar dessert posted in other places that use blackberry or raspberry. Basically, any berry is going to yield a delicious finished product.
can I leave out the pineapple?
Eek. You can try it, but the pineapple, besides adding a unique flavor, contributes juices that give the Jello the consistency it needs. If it’s the texture of the crushed pineapple you don’t like, you could try running it through your blender before adding it.
how long will the jello take to set up?
It technically will only take six to eight hours, but it’s much better if you can let it sit overnight.
can I use low-fat cream cheese and sour cream?
Yes, low-fat is ok, but I would suggest not using fat-free.
how many people will this serve?
Depending on the size you cut the Jello pieces, it will serve 15-20.
can I make this recipe ahead of time?
Yes! It is a perfect recipe to make ahead of time. It will stay good covered in the fridge for two to three days. So when you’re planning your holiday meal, you can make this earlier in the week and save yourself time.
- In a medium-sized bowl, dissolve the strawberry Jello in two cups of boiling water. Add the two cans of undrained, crushed pineapple and the can of blueberry pie filling. Mix well and pour into a 9x13 glass dish.
- Let sit for six to eight hours or overnight if possible.
- Before serving, make topping.
- Using your hand mixer or a whisk, blend together the softened cream cheese, sour cream, sugar, and vanilla. Mix until smooth and spread evenly over the setup Jello salad. If desired, you can also sprinkle the top with chopped pecans or walnuts.
- Store leftovers covered in the fridge for up to a week.
Other Classics Mom Used to Make