A delicious and simple way to turn brussel sprouts into one of your favorite veggies. Brussel sprouts get a bad rap sometimes, but if you prepare them right, they can be absolutely delicious! This side dish is perfect for holiday dinners too. They’re just fancy enough, but couldn’t be easier to make…especially if you can find shredded brussel sprouts at your local grocery store.
Brussel sprouts are so good for you, but they have a strong flavor that a lot of people don’t like. I used to only use them in my Chop Toss and Bake recipe and always had a few kids that threw a fit when they would see them, but I also had a couple of kids who loved them. I started making roasted brussel sprouts as a side dish sometimes and then started experimenting with different ways to prepare them to see if I could get some of the pickier kids to eat them.
This recipe did it! Must be the bacon. Even my Trever, who would endure a large amount of torture before ever agreeing to eat a whole brussel sprout, happily asked for second and third helpings of these yummy brussel sprouts. Sometimes it just needs to be presented in a different way. If you are already a brussel sprout fan, you will love these. If you aren’t a big fan, try them prepared this way, and you might just be like Trever and fall in love with them.
More Delicious Veggie Side Dishes
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Classic Green Bean Casserole
- Garlic Sautéed Spinach
- Company Cauliflower
- Maple Balsamic Roasted Carrots
- Roasted Golden Butter Potatoes
Step-by-step pictures on how to make brussel sprouts with bacon
Tips for making Brussel Sprouts with Bacon
- To prepare the brussel sprouts, I just peel off the outer layer (if needed) and slice them as thin as I can.
- Make sure to leave at least 2 tbsp of bacon grease in the pan to sauté the garlic, onions, and brussel sprouts.
- To finely chop the onion, use a vegetable chopper.
- Use fresh lemon juice for the best flavor.
- If you’re not going to serve the brussel sprouts immediately, cover with foil to keep warm until ready to serve.
- 2 lbs shredded brussel sprouts
- 1 lb sliced bacon, cut into small pieces
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 large segment of garlic or two small, minced
- ½ tsp salt (plus more to taste if needed)
- ¼ tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp fresh lemon juice
- In a large frying pan, cook the bacon pieces until brown and crisp. Remove bacon and leave bacon grease in the pan. If there is a crazy amount of grease, remove some, leaving about 2 tablespoons in the pan.
- Sauté the onion and garlic in the bacon grease until they are nice and tender. Add the shredded brussel sprouts, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Sauté until wilted and tender.
- Next, add the bacon back in and squeeze ½ tsp of fresh lemon juice over everything. Mix well. Taste and add more salt and pepper if desired.
- Serve immediately. (If needed, cover with foil to keep warm.)