Creamy, spicy perfection…this Buffalo Chicken Dip is an iconic party appetizer I just can’t get enough of. Best of all, it’s actually really easy to make. It is a crowd-pleaser, just like this Cranberry Salsa and Texas Caviar.
I hold my friend, Elinor, responsible for my Buffalo Chicken Dip addiction. I never had it until I started going to game nights at her house about 10 years ago. I owe her a huge debt of gratitude for introducing me to this dip.
There are lots of different recipes out there, but they typically include the same ingredients. The nice thing is you can cater it to your personal taste and spice tolerance. Some recipes call for blue cheese. I choose not to add that in mine. I found that about 1/2 cup of buffalo sauce is the right amount for our whole family to enjoy the dip.
This dip tastes great served with corn chips and chunks of crusty French Bread. Also, celery sticks are delicious dipped in it. If you’re looking for a delicious New Year’s appetizer or party dip, this is it!
More Appetizer Ideas
- The Best Chili Cheese Dip
- Amazing Strawberry Cheesecake Pastry Bites
- Bacon Wrapped Cheese Fries
- Best Ever Chewy Chex Mix
- Pretzel Wrapped Little Smokies
- Easy Homemade Pot Stickers
step by step pictures on how to make buffalo chicken dip
Tips for making Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Always use a really good buffalo chicken sauce. We prefer Frank’s Red Hot. We’ve used Baby Ray’s Hot Sauce with good results too.
- Cream cheese does not have to be softened first, but it will help the ingredients come together if it has been softened to room temperature.
- The chicken needs to be precooked. A rotisserie chicken works great in this recipe. Canned chicken is also an easy option.
- The recipe is written for stovetop directions, but this can be made in a slow cooker. You will just need to watch it and stir often.
- If the dip needs to be kept warm, prepare it on the stovetop and then transfer it to a slow cooker. Keep the slow cooker on warm.
- If you like blue cheese, you can substitute blue cheese crumbles for the Colby Jack cheese.
- For presentation, I like to transfer the dip to a baking dish and broil a little cheese on the top before serving.
- Serve with your favorite corn chips, crusty French bread, and/or celery sticks.
- 3-4 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 2 (8 oz) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup ranch dressing
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup Frank's Red Hot Buffalo Sauce
- 1 cup Colby Jack cheese, shredded
- green onions for garnish (optional)
- In a medium-size saucepan combine cream cheese, ranch dressing, sour cream, and hot sauce over medium to medium-low heat.
- Stir often until melted and smooth.
- Stir in the shredded chicken.
- Lastly, add the cheese. Stir together.
- Make sure the dip is nice and hot. At this point, you can serve as is, or you can pour it into a baking dish, sprinkle it with some cheese, and put it under the broiler for a minute. Another option is to transfer the dip to a warm slow cooker.
- Serve with corn chips, crackers, crusty French bread, or celery sticks.
Popular Reader Favorites