Cabbage Rolls are right up there on the list of my favorite meals. The combination of flavors speaks to my soul and I love how the cabbage cooks in the tomato mixture……mmmm, they are just so delicious on so many levels.
However, they are not exactly simple to make. It can be a bit of a pain to peel off the cabbage leaves and roll up the mixture in them. Don’t get me wrong, it’s worth it but on busy nights it just isn’t going to fly.
Enter, cabbage roll soup. The perfect solution and it is going to blow your mind how much this soup tastes exactly like cabbage rolls. Serve it up with some soda crackers or your favorite rolls and you’ll be one happy camper.
Oh, and I almost forgot. It is also gluten free for all my gluten free friends.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot or 7-8 baby carrots, finely grated
- 3 large cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 29 ounce can crushed tomatoes with basil (if using regular crushed tomatoes add ½ tsp basil)
- 4 cups beef or chicken broth or stock
- 2-3 cups water
- ½ cup raw rice
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- 4 cups chopped cabbage
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- pinch of baking soda (about a ⅛ tsp)
- More water or broth if needed
- In a large pot, saute onion, carrot and garlic for two minutes, add ground beef and salt and pepper, cook until meat is no longer pink.
- Add crushed tomatoes, broth or stock and water.
- Stir in Italian seasoning, and chili powder Bring to a boil and then add rice. Simmer for 20 minutes uncovered. Add cabbage, brown sugar and baking soda...also add more liquid at this point if soup is getting too thick as the rice absorbs moisture. Taste it to see if you need to add plain water or broth...if the flavor is really strong add water instead of broth.
- Cover and cook until cabbage is tender. Add more salt and pepper if necessary and serve with crackers or rolls.