If you love the slight kick of spice from Cajun-inspired dishes, you will adore this Cajun Style Sausage Stew packed with greens and beans. The best part, it only takes about 5 minutes to throw everything in the slow cooker. For another Cajun-spiced dinner, try this Cajun Chicken Pasta.
We lived on the border of Texas and Arkansas for 14 months while my husband was getting his master’s degree. I fell in love with the way turnip and collard greens were prepared down there, and I loved how they flavored pinto beans for a BBQ side dish. This fun recipe brings all of that together.
Our friends we met during grad school, JC and Carin, moved to Alabama after graduation, and she shared this fantastic recipe with me that she got from friends they met there. I’m telling you, those southern folks know what they’re doing with beans and greens.
This stew is meant to be made with is Conecuh Smoked Sausage. That brand of sausage has Cajun Flavor mixed right in. If you don’t live in the south and can’t find that brand, don’t worry. You can use another smoked sausage or kielbasa that you like and just add a tsp of Cajun spice mix to the recipe.
I am seriously so excited for you to try this. It’s so yummy and with all those greens and beans, and it’s packed with nutrients, protein, and fiber. YAY!
Other Dishes with Just the Right Amount of Kick
- Salsa Chicken Enchiladas
- Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Award Winning Chili
- Creamy Cajun Pasta Skillet with Kielbasa
- Instant Pot Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta
- Instant Pot Lentils with Chicken and Sweet Potato (I know it sounds weird, but you’ve gotta try it.)
Step by step pictures for how to make Cajun Style Slow Cooker beans, greens, and Sausage Stew
Frequently Asked Questions about making Cajun Style Slow Cooker Beans, Greens and Sausage Stew
Can I use Collard Greens as a substitute for Turnip Greens?
Yes, definitely. I have used both with almost identical results.
Can I use fresh Collard Greens or do they need to be frozen?
If you have fresh out of your garden, awesome! Or, if you just happen to have some from the store you want to use up, you can definitely use them, but you will need to wait to add them until the rest of the stew has cooked for 2-3 hours. Just remember you need to add the same amount ounce-wise…which ends up being a giant heap of fresh. You will also need to add about a cup of water. The frozen greens let off excess water.
If I don’t have Conecuh sausage, what brands would you recommend?
Hillshire Farm Kielbasa is a great substitute.
What is the best brand for Cajun seasoning?
My favorite Cajun seasoning is Tony Chachere’s.
Can I sub Cannellini beans or Navy Beans in place of the Great Northern Beans?
Yes. Any kind of white bean will work great in this recipe.
The salty, smokey, flavors in this stew are fantastic. I am so excited for you to try this delicious and simple dinner.
- 20-28 ounces frozen turnip greens
- 3 (15 ounce) cans Great Northern Beans, drained
- 1 lb Smoked Sausage (Conecuh brand or Hillshire Farm brand), sliced or diced into bitesize pieces
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 (1.4 ounce) Knorr Vegetable Mix packet
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp salt (or if not using the Conecuh Cajun infused sausage, sub Tony Chachere's Cajun Seasoning for the salt.)
- Place all ingredients in a slow cooker. Mix well and cook on low for six hours.
- Stir once halfway through cooking if possible.
- Serve with your favorite bread or rolls.
More Slow Cooker Recipes You'll Love