I’ve done it folks, I’ve perfected the Caramel Marshmallow Popcorn Recipe. I had a friend who would make this at college and I absolutely positively loved it.
Here comes the sad part.
I never got the recipe from her before we lost touch, boo, whaaa, whaaaaaa! Seriously, I cried about it for a good two years. Finally I picked myself up by my bootstraps and searched every recipe book I owned (this was in the stone-age….before Pinterest) and I made do with one that I found in a church cookbook my mom gave me.
It was good. It was, I mean I definitely didn’t have to force myself to eat it, but it wasn’t quite what I remembered. It was a little too soft and gooey….I know, I know, you’re thinking, “Maria why are you speaking blasphemy? Caramel popcorn can never be to soft and gooey.” But.(picture me holding up my finger and giving you a sideways look) Believe me….it actually can.
After all these years of finely tweaking the recipe I’ve done it. This popcorn is perfection, just the right texture on the caramel so it is chewy but can still hold it’s shape, and just the way I remember good old Meredith (if I could only remember her last name I could have found her on Facebook) making it.
Follow the directions (especially for the boiling part) explicitly, and you will have the most delicious, caramel marshmallow popcorn you’ve ever tasted. It’s amazing!
Oh, and if you want to be cool for the kids, make it into popcorn balls. Works great for that.
Like Caramel? Try these recipes
- ¾ cup butter or margarine, cut into pieces to melt faster
- 1¼ cup sugar
- ½ cup Karo Syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla
- pinch of baking soda, (1/8 tsp)
- 4 quarts popped popcorn, take out un-popped kernels
- 3-4 cups miniature marshmallows (about ½ of a 10 ounce bag)
- Put popped popcorn in a large bowl add marshmallows, stir to mix and set aside
- In a 1 quart sauce pan combine butter, sugar, and karo syrup.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil for 3 minutes, stirring constantly careful to stir all the way to the bottom and on the edges.
- After the 3 minutes, remove form heat and add vanilla and baking soda, stir and pour over the popped corn and marshmallow mixture, mix thoroughly and let cool for 15-20 minutes,
- Eat by the handful or form into balls if desired.
- If forming into balls, spray hands with cooking spray to prevent sticking.