Cheese Stuffed Chili Dogs
What’s more american then a good chili dog?
A Cheese Stuffed Chili Dog.
This year on Memorial Day I decided to get a little crazy with the hot dogs we made for the kids and I stuffed them with cheese sticks I had cut in half.
The kids went crazy for them. So naturally I decided to take that idea and run with it. Hence, we now eat our chili dogs stuffed with cheese. And the kids love it them and I love that adding chili gives the meal a healthy dose of fiber.
Keep some hot dogs and buns in the freezer and a can or two of chili in your pantry and you’ve got a super quick dinner at the ready. A meal so easy to make even dad or the 10 year old can do it.
I’ve made these chili dogs with halved cheese sticks (which are just the right size) or like I did in this pictures, with small 1/4 inch strips of cheese.
Both ways work great.
As far as the chili goes, you can use homemade or whatever canned variety you like. I picked up a tip from a friend that adding a spoon of honey to canned chili makes it taste much better. I always do that now when we use canned chili. You should try it.
- 8 hot dogs
- 8 hot dog buns
- 1 15 ounce can of chilli or two cups of homemade chili
- 4 cheese sticks (cut in half lengthwise or 4 ounces of cheddar cheese cut into ¼ inch strips
- Line up hot dogs in a small baking dish.
- Slice each one ⅔ of the way through, careful not to cut them all the way in half.
- Stuff each one with ½ a cheese stick or with the ¼ inch strips of cheese as pictured above.
- Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted to your liking.
- Remove from oven and place each cheese stuffed hot dog in a bun and top with ¼ cup of chili.
- Sprinkle with additional cheese if desired.