Every year my mom would make these for our family reunion and it would kill me, and I mean kill me to wait until we got there to be able to eat any.
The chewy caramel texture is just more then I can handle, add in the chocolate chips and well, I’m ready to marry a rice crispy treat.
I usually use a store bought package of caramels, but last time I made them I used homemade caramel instead and it was mind blowing….don’t get me wrong they are still fab with the store bought caramels, but if you feel like taking it over the top or just happen to have some homemade caramels hiding somewhere, give it a try it’s fabulous!
- 1 cube butter
- 1 (11 ounce) package caramels
- 1 (14 ounce) can Sweet and Condensed Milk
- 1 large bag of mini marshmallows, (14-16 ounces)
- 8-9 cups rice crispies
- 12 ounce package milk chocolate chips or mini Hershey Kisses
- Over medium heat, cook the butter, caramels, and eagle brand milk until melted, stirring constantly so the caramels won't burn
- Add three quarters of the package of marshmallows and heat until melted
- Remove from heat and add rice crispies, mix until coated well...start with 8 cups but you may need to add the ninth
- Let cool considerably, 15 minutes or so, and then add the remaining marshmallows and chocolate chips, Mix until just combined and spread in a large buttered cookie sheet pan.
- Cool completely before cutting into squares.