Every year my mom would make these for our family reunion and it would kill me–and I mean kill me–to wait until we got there to be able to eat any.
The chewy caramel texture is just more than I can handle, add in the chocolate chips and well, I’m ready to marry a rice crispy treat.
I usually use a store-bought package of caramels, but the last time I made them I used homemade caramel instead and it was mind-blowing….don’t get me wrong they are still fab with the store-bought caramels, but if you feel like taking it over the top or just happen to have some homemade caramels hiding somewhere, give it a try it’s fabulous!
- ½ cup butter
- 1 (11 ounce) package caramels
- 1 (14 ounce) can Sweet and Condensed Milk
- 1 large bag of mini marshmallows, (14-16 ounces)
- 8-9 cups rice crispies
- 12 ounce package milk chocolate chips or mini Hershey Kisses
- Over medium heat, cook the butter, caramels, and eagle brand milk until melted, stirring constantly so the caramels won't burn
- Add three-quarters of the package of marshmallows and heat until melted
- Remove from heat and add rice crispies, mix until coated well...start with 8 cups but you may need to add the ninth
- Let cool considerably, 15 minutes or so, and then add the remaining marshmallows and chocolate chips, Mix until just combined and spread in a large buttered cookie sheet pan.
- Cool completely before cutting into squares.