Chewy Chocolate Cookies with Cadbury Eggs
I tasted these cookies last year at my siser-in-laws house. The recipe came from Our Best Bites. The Chewy chocolate cookie with bits of smooth chocolate from the Cadbury eggs is a delicious combination! I knew I had to make them! When I did make them, I decided to change one ingredient. I couldn’t believe it when the cookies turned out even more amazing then the originals!
I was on a coconut oil kick last spring so when I saw the recipe I decided to sub unrefined coconut oil for the butter in the recipe. The results were delicious. The subtle flavor of the coconut was like a secret magic ingredient. You couldn’t quite put your finger on what it was, you just knew these were some of the most delicious cookies you had ever had.
I have since experimented with the recipe and it works well to sub out the shortening with the coconut oil and leave the butter if you prefer to make them that way. Also if you don’t have coconut oil you can put in a 1/4 tsp of coconut extract and still get that awesome subtle coconut flavor that takes these to another level of awesome!
- ½ cup butter flavored shortening
- ½ cup unrefined coconut oil (can substitute with softened butter)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 6 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2½ cups flour
- 1 10 ounce bag Mini Cadbury Eggs, roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Cream together shortening, coconut oil, brown sugar and sugar
- Add eggs and vanilla
- Add all other dry ingredients (except cadbury egg pieces) mix until well combined
- Add Cadbury Egg pieces and mix just long enough to spread throughout.
- Use a cookie scoop and place balls of dough 2 inches apart on cookies sheet
- Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes. Nine minutes is just right in my oven
This cookie dough base is the perfect jumping off point for lots of delicious cookies. I have used it with Reeses Pieces Eggs, white chocolate chips and Andes Mints. All of the cookies have turned out great!
Keep it Real!!!