Melted Mozzarella cheese on top of a fresh and healthy zucchini skillet dinner is summertime comfort food at its best.
We’re still eating our way through the yummy zucchinis we were given. More then one of them found it’s way into this easy skillet dinner.
In the last few weeks, I’m pretty sure I’ve made every possible variation of a skillet dinner that features zucchini.
It doesn’t seem to matter what I put in it, if I add some shredded cheese on top and put rice in it, my kids gobble it up, so I decided to try something new with this one.
I added a can of cannellini beans to give it more fiber (fiber is my friend) and instead of sausage or ground beef I put in some pre-cooked chicken I had in the freezer (you could use canned) and…wait for it….I added a shredded carrot. You knew that was coming.
Even my baby, who is trying really hard to earn the “pickiest eater in the family” award, ate this up like it was his last meal on earth.
Serve this thirty minute meal up with some garlic bread and a salad if you want to get fancy (or stretch it a little further,) but on a busy night this recipe has all the important stuff, so it can stand alone and still fill everyone up.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup chopped yellow or white onion
- 2-3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 15 ounce can cannellini beans
- 2 cup zucchini chunks or thick slices
- 1-2 cups precooked chicken breast, cubed or shredded (can use canned chicken)
- 1 cup white rice, uncooked
- 2 tsp basil or Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp black pepper
- 2¼ cups chicken broth
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a large deep skillet, saute onion and garlic in olive oil
- Add diced tomatoes, cannellini beans, zucchini chunks, shredded chicken, uncooked white rice, basil or Italian seasoning, brown sugar, salt, black pepper, and chicken broth, stir everything together and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until rice is cooked and liquid is almost completely absorbed.
- Remove from heat, sprinkle with cheese and put the lid back. Leave lid on until cheese has melted. Serve with Garlic bread and salad if desired.
More Yummy Skillet Dinners
Keep it Real!!!