I still remember the first time I had a chocolate pecan pie. I was twenty-two and prior to that moment was not aware that chocolate pecan pie existed. Needless to say my mind was blown!
Why had I wasted the first twenty-two years of my life eating pecan pie that didn’t have chocolate chips in it? I was also twenty-two the first time I had fresh garlic. YOU GUYS! That is just SAD!!!!
I like to think that those two experiences happening in the same year are what woke me up to the idea that there were lots of foods out there that I didn’t even know existed and I needed to find them or create them. Up to that point I looked at food and recipes as concrete instead of creative opportunities.
So basically, I owe my love of cooking and creating recipes to Chocolate Pecan Pie and garlic.
If you’ve never had chocolate pecan pie you are going to love this. This recipe is incredibly easy too. Most people think pecan pie is complicated, but the big secret is, it’s one of the easiest pies in the world!
And to make it even easier, use a frozen pie crust instead off making your own. The Pillsbury brand is my favorite. It is such a great way to save time. If you use a frozen pie crust, preparing this pie will literally take you five minutes.
The thing about Chocolate Pecan Pie though, is that it takes a while to set up after it is done cooking. It is best to make this pie a day in advance of when you plan to eat it.
Some people like to use half chopped pecans and half whole to cover the top. Others like to leave them all whole. It doesn’t really matter, it will still taste the same. I just use whatever I have on hand or whatever is cheaper at the store.
This delicious pie is perfect for a special dessert, and is especially perfect for holidays like, Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter.
- 1 (9 inch) pie crust. (I used a store bought frozen one)
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 1 cup light Karo Syrup
- ⅓ cup butter, melted
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1-1½ cups pecan halves
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- In a medium size mixing bowl combine the sugar, karo syrup, melted butter, salt and eggs. Whisk together until completely blended.
- Add the chocolate chips and pecans. Stir until combined.
- Pour into the pie crust and bake at 375 for 40-45 minutes. (I like to place my pie on a cookie sheet before placing it in the oven. It makes it easier to get out and you don't bump the pie crust edges and mess them up with your hot pads.)