Oh boy! You guys, if there was ever a perfect recipe out there, it is this. Scotcheroo Rice Krispie Treats are, by far, without a doubt, one of the most amazing things you will ever eat.
It’s the texture, it’s the flavors, actually I don’t know what it is, but it’s magic. Seriously, they are like the 8th wonder of the world. It shouldn’t be possible for things as simple as rice krispies, sugar, peanut butter, butterscotch chips, and chocolate chips to make something that tastes like it fell down from Mount Olympus. But they do, and it’s absolutely crazy, amazingly, DELICIOUS!
I hope that when you read that, you were like, “Yes, Maria, preach it! I know exactly what you’re saying. Scotcheroos are the best thing since cheesecake.” Good, I really hope that’s what went through your mind. However, I am very concerned (and it’s why I am posting this recipe) that there may be some of you who were thinking, ‘Hmm, that sounds interesting, I’ve never had one of those.’ Oh no, no, no, no, no!
That makes me want to cry. I didn’t know what life was until I ate a Scotcheroo. Now granted, not all Scotcheroos are created equally. It is possible to botch a batch of Scotcheroos. I’m here to give you some simple tips that will ensure your Scotcheroos are top notch. Not too hard, not too soft. It’s the right combination of flavors, and the perfect chewiness that will have you crying for more.
Like I do with most really good treats I share on the blog, I’m going to suggest hiding a few of these from your spouse/children. My husband has gotten pretty good at remembering to never eat the last piece of a baked good or homemade treat, but my kids are not quite there. This is one treat that I would legit cry real tears over if I had been looking forward to the last one, and it was gone when I finally got around to eating it.
So, for the sake of self-preservation for my children, I’ve learned to hide a piece or two of my favorite things so I don’t risk hating them a little bit if they eat the last piece.
You’re definitely going to want to hide a couple of these….or maybe to be safe you should just hide the whole batch…..
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup light karo syrup
- 1 cup peanut butter, creamy or chunky...whatever you prefer
- 6 cups rice krispie cereal
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- Spray a 9x13 glass baking dish with cooking spray and set aside
- In a medium sized sauce pan combine the granulated sugar and light karo syrup. Bring mixture to a boil over medium high heat.
- Allow mixture to boil for exactly one minute. Remove from heat and add peanut butter, mix well. Add rice krispies and mix until all are coated.
- Pour rice krispie mixture out into the prepared 9x13 pan and press down with buttered hands or put your hand inside a small plastic bag to keep mixture from sticking to your hands.
- Put the milk chocolate chips and the butterscotch chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 30 seconds at a time (stirring in between each one) until chips are melted.
- Drizzle melted chips over krispie bars and then spread it out evenly with the back of a spoon.
- Allow to cool until chocolate mixture is set up. To speed this up you can put it in the fridge or freezer, but remember doing that will make the krispies part harder to chew.