Zucchini is in season and I’m thrilled. These Chocolate Zucchini Muffins are the perfect way to use it.
Last year I shredded and froze a bunch of zucchini and it was so nice to have it in the freezer. I can’t wait to get my stock pile up again so these can be a year long treat. How to Freeze Zucchini
I’ve always been a huge fan of chocolate muffins and I’ve tried a lot of recipes in hopes to find the recipe for the most delicious Chocolate muffins out there.
This is it.
And, I hate to brag but, I figured out a simple little step to make this already delicious recipe even more scrumptious.
***Heating the butter, cocoa and a little bit of the sugar together before adding it to the mix adds an extra level of fudgey flavor, and it’s awesome! I do this with my homemade brownie recipe too, and it definitely takes things up a notch.
When I made these my kids went a little cra-cra for them. Without intervention from me they would have been snarfed up in a matter of minutes. They don’t need to know that I ate three during nap time. I live such a double standard.
Chocolate goodness, made perfect with zucchini and a hint of cinnamon. The chocolate chips don’t hurt anything either.
- 2 cups sugar, divided
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup oil
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 3 cups flour
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a microwave safe bowl microwave mix ½ cup cocoa, ½ cup sugar and mix until comined. Add ½ cup butter and microwave for 30-60 seconds until butter melts. Stir well.
- Pour into mixing bowl, or stand mixer bowl. Add the rest of the sugar (1½ cups) oil, eggs and vanilla. Mix well.
- Add baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and flour. Mix until combined add shredded zucchini and mix (15-seconds) until combined. Add chocolate chips and mix (15 seconds) them through.
- Prepare muffin tins with liners or cooking spray and fill ⅔ full and bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean from center.
- Remove from tins and let cool on a cooling rack.