Gumdrops, holiday M&Ms, and nuts make this Christmas Marshmallow Caramel Popcorn an extra special treat! Growing up, one of my neighbors would share a bucket of this yummy popcorn as a gift to our family every year. I grew up in a small town, and sharing a plate of your favorite Christmas treats with your neighbors was a tradition we looked forward to every year.
I’ll admit, as a kid I would pick out the gumdrops except for the cinnamon ones. Now, there’s something about having those gumdrops in there that make it so nostalgic. I never did get the exact recipe from our neighbor, but I have a great Caramel Marshmallow Popcorn recipe I got from a friend in college. It works perfectly for this holiday treat!
More Must Make Treats for the Holidays
- Chewy Ginger Snap Cookies
- Hershey Bar Fudge
- Old Fashioned Cherry Mash Chocolates
- White Chocolate Peppermint Pretzel Crisps
- Mom’s Best Peanut Brittle Recipe
- Merry Widow Caramels
step-by-step pictures on How to make Christmas marshmallow caramel popcorn
Tips for Making Christmas Marshmallow Caramel Popcorn
- Use air popped popcorn.
- To limit the amount of unpopped kernels that get into the caramel corn, move popcorn from one bowl to another sifting out any kernels or hulls.
- Mix the nuts and marshmallows into the popcorn before adding the caramel.
- Thoroughly stir the hot caramel into the marshmallow, popcorn, nut mixture before adding the gumdrops and M&Ms.
- If packaging to give away, make sure popcorn is completely cooled and package it in an airtight container or Ziploc bag.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use microwave popcorn?
Yes. If you don’t have access to an air popper, it’s ok to use microwave or even stove top. Just remember that the microwave butter flavor will change the final product.
how long will this popcorn stay good?
how big of a bowl do i need to mix this in?
As big as you’ve got! I like to error on the side of safety and try to use a large bowl that gives me plenty of room to mix the popcorn without spilling it over, especially using hot caramel.
- 4 quarts popped popcorn (take out unpopped kernels)
- 4 cups mini marshmallows
- 1-2 cups salted mixed nuts
- 1-2 cups M&Ms
- 1-2 cups gumdrops
- ¾ cup butter
- 1¼ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup light Karo syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla
- ⅛ tsp baking soda
- Put the popped popcorn, the marshmallows, and the nuts in a large bowl. Stir to mix and set aside.
- In a one-quart saucepan, combine butter, sugar, and Karo syrup.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil for three minutes (careful to stir all the way to the bottom and on the edges).
- After three minutes, remove from heat and add vanilla and baking soda. Stir and pour over the popcorn mixture, mixing thoroughly.
- Once popcorn is covered, stir in the gumdrops and M&Ms. Let popcorn cool for at least 20 minutes before eating. Cool completely if packaging to give away.
- If packaging, use an airtight container or a Ziploc bag. Popcorn will stay fresh that way for at least a week.