The green beans are tossed in a creamy mushroom sauce with French fried onions scattered throughout and on top. This makes a large 9×13 pan. I prefer to use canned green beans, but frozen green beans work well, too. You just need to make sure you cook them before adding them to the sauce mixture.
This is such a classic American holiday dish. It’s hard to imagine that anyone hasn’t tried it yet, but even if you have, I hope you try this Classic Green Bean Casserole at your next Thanksgiving, Christmas, or Easter dinner.
Other Holiday Must-Make Recipes
- Cranberry Fluff Salad with Apple and Walnuts
- Layered Salad
- Sparkling Cucumber Limeade Party Drink
- Lunch Lady Cafeteria Rolls
- Best Pumpkin Pie
- Magnolia Bakery Blueberry Jamboree
STEP-BY-STEP PICTURES FOR HOW TO MAKE CLASSIC GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE
Frequently Asked Questions about making Classic Green Bean Casserole
can I use french-cut style green beans in this casserole?
The French-cut style will change the texture of the casserole. It won’t be the end of the world if you use them, but if you have access to regular cut green beans, the casserole will turn out more traditional.
can I use fresh or frozen green beans instead of canned green beans?
Yes, you can use fresh or frozen green beans. You need to make sure you cook them before adding them to the mushroom sauce. If you’re used to using canned green beans, you will notice a slightly different flavor when using fresh or frozen green beans.
what type of soy sauce is best in this casserole?
The type of soy sauce you use won’t make a huge difference. I use LaChoy Soy Sauce. If you want to make this gluten-free, you will need to use a gluten-free soy sauce or amino acids.
can I use fat-free cream of mushroom soup?
Yes, you can. There are a couple of different varieties of cream of mushroom soup. Any of them are fine to use, but if you’re looking for the traditional flavor of green bean casserole, stick with the original cream of mushroom soup.
is there anything I can substitute for the french fried onions?
Unfortunately, there isn’t another ingredient that can take the place of the French fried onions. They add flavor, and the ones you put on top add a nice crunch. If you just can’t find any, you can add sautéed onions to the soup mixture. Then for the crunch, you can add something like Ritz cracker crumbs or cornflakes tossed in a couple of tablespoons of melted butter. Some people also like to add a little grated cheese on top of the casserole.
can classic green bean casserole be made ahead of time?
Yes. One of the great things about this casserole is that it can be made a day or two in advance. You can mix the ingredients, cover them, and refrigerate them until ready to cook.
- 5 (15 ounce) cans regular cut green beans, drained (approx. 8 cups)
- 2 (10.5 ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 2⅔ cup French-fried onions, divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the cream of mushroom soup, milk, soy sauce, and pepper.
- Add the drained green beans and 1⅓ cup French-fried onions. Mix well.
- Pour mixture into the prepared 9x13 pan. Bake in the 350-degree oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle the remaining 1⅓ cup French-fried onions on top. Bake for another 5 minutes or until the onions are nice and toasted.
- Serve and enjoy!