Living in Germany, there are lots of restaurants I miss. I’ve decided I’m just going to have to start recreating recipes from them. This week I started with Chipotle, and you’re going to love this Copycat Chipotle Beef Barbacoa. We’re big fans of Mexican food. I usually get the burrito bowl at Chipotle, but if you want to make the burrito, these Homemade Flour Tortillas are really authentic and perfect.
Maybe I shouldn’t admit this publicly, but one of my favorite things to do when I needed a little break from the family was to go get some Chipotle, go to a remote parking spot, sit in my van, and watch Netflix on my phone while I ate it. Seriously, I’m getting nostalgic thinking about it! Next time you see someone eating in their car, just pretend you don’t see them and walk on by! Maybe they need a break from their family, too! 😉
My days of being able to go grab takeout and hide in a parking lot are pretty much over, but I still love Chipotle. It was so fun to recreate this recipe and others so we could enjoy an authentic Chipotle dinner, even overseas.
This recipe is easier to make than you’d think. Once you get the sauce made and the meat seared, it basically makes itself! I hope you enjoy this Copycat Chipotle Beef Barbacoa as much as we do!
More Copycat Recipes
- Copycat Diner Style Pancakes
- Copycat Macaroni Grill Rosemary Bread
- Copycat Cafe Rio Cilantro Ranch Dressing
- Copycat Swig Sugar Cookies Bar Recipe
- Copycat Cranberry Bliss Bars
- Knockoff Swig Sugar Cookies
Step-by-step pictures for how to make copycat chipotle beef barbacoa
Frequently Asked Questions About How to Make Copycat Chipotle Beef Barbacoa
What can i use if i don’t have chipotle chiles or adobo sauce?
what cut of beef is best to use for copycat chipotle beef barbacoa?
A beef chuck roast is my favorite one to use. You could use any beef roast. I suggest having at least a little bit of marbling so you get some of that nice fat flavor.
do i have to sear the beef or can i just put it directly in the oven?
Searing the beef adds some nice flavor, but if you’re in a hurry, skipping this step will not make a drastic difference.
what does barbacoa mean?
Barbacoa is the Spanish word for “barbeque,” but don’t let that confuse you. The flavor of this Copycat Chipotle Beef Barbacoa is nothing like American barbeque.
what is a good replacement for apple cider vinegar?
The best replacement option for apple cider vinegar is seasoned rice vinegar or red wine.
- 3-4 lbs beef chuck roast
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1½ tsp oregano
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2-3 chipotle chiles in adobo (these will add spice so if you like it hot add 3, if not add 2 or consider only adding 1 if you don't like things a little spicy)
- ½ cup beef broth
- 2 bay leaves
- In a food processor or powerful blender, combine the apple cider vinegar, garlic, cumin, brown sugar, oregano, black pepper, salt, ground cloves, lime juice, and chipotle chiles in adobo. Blend or process until well combined.
- Cut the beef roast into 4-5 chunks.
- In a large, oven-safe pot, sear each side of the meat in the heated canola oil.
- Once all sides of the beef are seared, pour the sauce mixture evenly over each piece.
- Add the beef broth and bay leaves. Cover with a lid or foil and bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 2½-3 hours or until meat is fork-tender and shreds easily.
- When the meat is done, remove it from the oven and shred the meat using 2 forks. You can choose to take it out of the pan to do this or leave it in like I did. If you take it out, be sure to return the shredded meat to the pan to soak up the juices.
- Serve with chipotle lime rice, black beans, pico de gallo, guacamole, cheese, and any other toppings you prefer! Meat can also be wrapped up in a burrito or served on a salad.
More Delicious Mexican Food