Today is your lucky day. I am about to tell you how to make the most delicious Rice Crispies in all the land. There is a reason they are called Crazy Good Caramel Rice Crispies. It’s because they are CRAZY GOOD! It’s the combination of their awesome flavor and their awesome chewy texture.
The texture you guys. I know that seems like a crazy thing to be getting all excited about. I mean rice crispies are, in general, chewy. But this is not your ordinary chewy. You’re just going to have to try them to see what I am talking about.
Almost ten years ago we were living in a little town called Texarkana while Sim was working on his MBA. While we were there I met a girl named Kate. Kate made amazing Caramel Crispie Treats. I never did get her recipe, but one day, a few years after we had moved away, I found myself dreaming about those rice crispies and decided to try and recreate them.
What I came out with were much different then what Kate had made. But they were still super delicious and, like I said earlier, had a texture that was awesome and very more-ish. Moreish is what my grandma called things that made you want one more bite and then one more bite and then one more bite….
I shared this recipe years ago on The Mother Huddle, but unfortunately that site no longer exsists so I am excited to share it again here and hope that these Crazy Good Caramel Rice Crispies will make you as happy as they make me.
I usually use store bought Kraft Caramels for this recipe, but if I have recently made Homemade Caramels, I will use them. They turn out great either way.
I suggest using at least 20 caramels in this recipe, but you can use more or less depending on your preference or what you have available.
- ¼ cup butter
- 20-30 caramels, I use Kraft brand or my homemade recipe
- 1 10 ounce bag mini marshmallows
- 6 cups rice crispies cereal
- Butter a 9x13 glass dish and set aside
- In a large sauce pan melt butter and caramels on medium low heat until caramels are almost dissolved
- Add marshmallows and continue cooking, stirring constantly, until marshmallows melt.
- Stir in Rice Crispy Cereal and pour into prepared baking dish.
- Butter your hands to press down firmly into pan or I like to use a small plastic baggie over my hand to keep from getting messy.
- Let cool. Cut into small squares and serve.