Oh. My. Goodness. I am so in love with this Creamy Beef and Green Chili Casserole. All I did was make a couple of minor changes to a recipe my mom used to make a lot when I was a kid. And BOOM, BABY! It’s sooooooo delicious! My family also loves these Mexican Casserole and Chicken Black Bean Chilaquiles recipes.
When I was a kid, my mom made a casserole with beef, green chilies, and corn tortillas. I can still remember watching her tear tortillas into pieces.
I knew my family would like the kind of casserole my mom made, but I thought I would try switching out the corn tortillas for some corn tortilla chips. Good decision. Very good decision! I also made a couple of other tiny changes, like adding a little extra cheese, some garlic salt, and oregano.
Mexican Recipes You’ll Love
- Zucchini Taco Skillet
- Creamy Cilantro Verde Enchiladas
- Restaurant Style Salsa
- Homemade Flour Tortillas
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Mexican Delight
The end result is amazing and shockingly, was even better the second day. Now those were leftovers worth fighting over. This easy dinner is definitely going on my shortlist of favorite weeknight dinners.
Did I mention it is sooooo simple to put together? All you need is a pound and a half of ground beef, a chopped onion, a can of cream of chicken soup, a can of diced green chilies, garlic salt, oregano, black pepper, cheese, and corn chips.
how to make creamy beef and green chili casserole
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Brown the ground beef with the onion, and then add the cream of chicken soup, chilies, spices, and cheese.
- Place half the chips in the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish, pour half of the meat mixture over it.
- Pour half of the meat mixture over it.
- Add another layer of chips and add the rest of the meat mixture.
- Sprinkle with two cups of cheese and bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
- And just like that, you have an extremely delicious dinner to serve your loved ones.
Tips for making Creamy Beef and Green Chili Casserole
- If you really like green chilies, use two cans, but my family likes it best with only one.
- Add a little black pepper to the beef mixture, if you want.
- Mexican Four Cheese or Cheddar Cheese can be used in place of the Colby Jack Cheese.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray and set it aside.
- In a large skillet, brown the ground beef with the chopped onion.
- Once it is browned and fully cooked, add the cream of chicken soup, milk, green chilies, oregano, and garlic salt. You can also add a little black pepper if you want. Stir together.
- Next, add 1 cup of cheese and stir again.
- Line the baking dish you prepared with a layer of corn chips. Pour half of the meat mixture over the corn chips, and then put another layer of chips over that.
- Pour the remaining meat mixture over the second layer of chips and sprinkle the remaining 2 cups of cheese evenly over the entire casserole.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Serve with a green salad and/or Spanish Rice.
Easy desserts to top off your meal