Oh. my. goodness. I am so in love with this Creamy Beef and Green Chili Casserole. All I did was make a couple minor changes to a recipe my mom used to make a lot when I was a kid and BOOM BABY, it’s sooooooo delicious!
When I was a kid my mom made a casserole with beef green chili’s and corn tortillas. I can still remember watching her tear tortillas into pieces.
Because of how much my family loves these Mexican Casserole and Chicken Black Bean Chilaquiles recipes, I knew they would like that kind of casserole but I thought I would try switching out the corn tortillas for some corn tortilla chips. Good decision. Very good decision. I also made a couple other tiny changes like adding a little extra cheese, some garlic salt and oregano.
The end result is amazing and shockingly, was even better the second day. Now those were leftovers are worth fighting over. This easy dinner is definitely going on my short list of favorite weeknight dinners.
Did I mention it is sooooo simple to put together. All you need is a pound and a half of ground beef, a chopped onion, a can of cream of chicken soup, a can of diced green chili’s, garlic salt, oregano, black pepper, cheese and corn chips.
You start by browning the ground beef with the onion and then add the soup, chili’s, spices and cheese.
Place half the chips in the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish, pour half of the meat mixture over it.
Add another layer of chips and add the rest of the meat mixture.
Sprinkle with two cups of cheese and bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
And just like that, you have an extremely delicious dinner to serve your loved ones.
***If you really like green chili’s you can add two cans, but my family likes it best with only one.
- 1½ lbs ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 4 ounce can diced green chili's (you can use two cans if you really like green chili's)
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup milk (i just fill the empty soup can about ⅔ full)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp garlic salt, scant
- 3 cups colby jack cheese, separated
- 1 bag tortilla chips
- Spray the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray and set it aside.
- In a large skillet, brown the ground beef with the chopped onion, Once it is browned and fully cooked, add the cream of chicken soup, milk, green chilis, oregano and garlic salt. You can also add a little black pepper if you want. Stir together and then add a cup of cheese and stir again.
- Line the baking dish you prepared with a layer of corn chips, pour half of the meat mixture over that and then put another layer of chips over that. Pour remaining meat mixture over second layer of chips and sprinkle the 2 cups of cheese evenly over the entire casserole.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Serve with a green salad and/or Spanish Rice
Easy desserts to top off your meal