My sister-in-law, Mari, makes a really good Creamy White Chicken Chili. I am super excited to share her easy recipe and hope that you love it as much as our family does. We are big fans of anything we can dip corn chips in. If you’re not into White Chicken Chili, try this Award Winning Chili recipe!
Whenever we visit Mari she makes this soup and the pot is always licked clean at the end of the meal. She always serves it with avocado, cheese, and corn chips. The avocado really compliments the flavor of this yummy soup. I highly recommend adding it!
Chili is one of my favorite dinners in the winter. Not only is it simple to throw together, but Chili is such a comforting meal. I also love that it packs a big punch of protein and fiber, so not only is it comfort food, it’s healthy!
More Yummy Chili Recipes
- Slow Cooker Chili Chicken Casserole
- The Best Chili Ever
- Favorite White Chicken Chili
- Chili Mac
- Award Winning Chili
- Cheese Stuffed Chili Dogs
How To Make Creamy White Chicken Chili
Tips for making Creamy White Chicken Chili
- Drain and rinse your canned beans.
- Use pre-cooked chicken or rotisserie chicken. (My sister-in-law uses canned chicken to make it really fast).
- If you like a thicker chili, use an extra can of Great Northern Beans and blend them in your food processor or blender before adding them to the soup.
- In place of canned chicken broth, you can use 1 1/2 cups of water with 1 1/2 teaspoons of chicken bouillon.
- If you have small children that will be upset to see the onion, grate it or put it through your food processor to make it less visible. If you do that, you can also add the green chilis to hide them, too.
- In place of sour cream, you can substitute plain Greek yogurt.
- 2 pounds chicken breast, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1½ teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 (4 oz.) cans diced green chilis
- 2 (15 oz) cans Great Northern Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14 oz) can chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream (can sub half and half or evaporated milk if needed)
- Heat olive oil in a soup pot or enamel-covered cast iron pot. Add the chicken, onion, and garlic powder, and cook until the chicken is no longer pink.
- Add green chilis, salt, pepper, cumin, oregano, and cayenne pepper. Then saute for one minute.
- Next, add chicken broth and beans. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in sour cream and heavy cream.
- Serve with chips, cheese, avocado, and any other toppings of your choice.
Desserts Your Family Will Love