My mom loves food almost as much as I do, so when she called and said she had a lemon cookie recipe I just had to try, I knew it was going to be good. I made them as soon as she sent me a picture/text of the recipe. She was right, they really are Dreamy Lemon Cookies. You’re going to love them!
These buttery, lemon cookies are soft and chewy with a thin and perfect layer of glaze on top. The glaze adds just the right amount of tart and sweetness to the cookie.
The original recipe called for water instead of lemon juice in the glaze. I love tart, so I just had to add lemon juice for the glaze. The only other change I made to the recipe, was at the advice of my mother and that was to add a little extra flour to the recipe. The original recipe called for 3 cups and I added 3 1/3.
I’ve been wanting to share this recipe for a long time now, but with lots of late nights working on painting and finishing our basement, before company arrived, I just couldn’t summon the energy to write blog posts. Finally all that hard work is done, so my first order of business was to get this recipe out to all of you and into the inter-webs, because friends, it’s so good! A total keeper and you need it in our life.
I’ve got my fingers crossed that you have a lemon in your fridge or fruit basket so you can make some right now.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 4 tbsp fresh lemon juice, seperated 2 tbsp for cookie dough, 2 tbsp for glaze. (you should be able to get this much juice from one large lemon.)
- zest of one lemon
- 3⅓ cups flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup powdered sugar for rolling
- 1 cup of powdered sugar for the glaze
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Cream butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla, lemon zest and 2 tbsp lemon juice in your stand mixer or with a hand mixer.
- Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, mix until well incorporated.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Scoop dough out by the 2 tbsp full and form into balls. I use a cookie scoop to scoop them out. Roll the balls of dough in powdered sugar and set two inches apart on the prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes. Let cookies sit on cookie sheet for a minute or two after removing them from the oven before transferring to a cooling rack.
- After cookies have cooled, Mix up the glaze by adding 2 tbsp of lemon juice to 1 cup of powdered sugar.
- Whisk until there are no lumps and then spoon a small amount onto each cookie and spread it around. Let set and then enjoy!
- Store cookies in an airtight container.