My mom is pretty much obsessed with pork roasts. We had a big family and every Sunday she would make a big meal. It was almost always one of three things. Beef Roast, Baked Cracker Chicken, or this Easy Baked Pork Roast.
This is not a recipe to be used with a boneless pork loin or tender loin cut. This recipe is for butt portions, shoulder portions, or any other bone in large pork roast you find at your grocery store. you want this roast to have some nice marbling going on.
The good news is that you can almost always find a butt or shoulder bone-in pork roast for under $1.50 a pound, so it also makes for an affordable option when you want some good old meat and potatoes comfort food.
Choosing a roast with nice marbling makes for a delicious moist roast with just the right amount of crispy salty-ness on the edge pieces.
Those crisp, salty edge pieces were a hot commodity at our dinner table and I would always try to sit as close to the meat plate as I possibly could so as soon as the prayer was over I could quickly grab a nice big edge piece.
My other favorite thing about making this Easy Baked Pork Roast is the gravy. I have a separate post that teaches you how to make gravy out of almost any meat drippings. It’s easier than you think. No need to be intimidated by making gravy. I always make the drippings from this roast into gravy and serve it with the meat over mashed potatoes or white rice.
- 1 large pork roast, butt or sholder bone-in (6-8 lbs)
- Salt and Pepper
- Sprinkle Salt and Pepper into the baking dish of your choice. I use a dutch oven style pan, but if you don't have one you can use a 9x13 pan or a roasting pan
- Place the roast in the pan and generously salt and pepper the top and sides if you can get to them. When I say generously I mean you should be able to see the salt on the roast. A good 4 tsp or so depending on the size of your roast.
- That's it, just salt and pepper, now put the roast, uncovered into the oven for 2½- 3 hours. If you are using a frozen roast you may need to let it go for an additional 30-60 minutes.
- When it is done cooking remove it from pan and let it rest for about 20-30 minutes before slicing. (I cover it with foil when it is resting.
- Use drippings in pan to make gravy.