Pie isn’t just for Thanksgiving. This Easy French Silk Pie is going to be your new go-to recipe when you need to bring a dessert or when you have guests for dinner. It’s one of those great recipes that tastes fancy but has simple ingredients and couldn’t be easier to whip up. If chocolate isn’t your thing, try this Magnolia Bakery Blueberry Jamboree recipe next time you need a delicious dessert for something. It gets rave reviews!
Back to the French Silk Pie. When I was serving as a missionary for my church in Sacramento California, a nice family had us over for dinner and served a delicious french silk pie for dessert. To be honest, it was the first time I had ever had french silk pie and I had no idea what I had just eaten. I just new I loved it and wanted to be able to make it for myself. I was a little too shy (so funny to think that now) to ask for the recipe but I remembered her saying it was made with a Hershey Symphony Bar and Whipping cream.
I tried to recreate it a few times but failed miserably. I decided I needed to look up some recipes and stop trying to go off the little I remembered about what she had told me was in the recipe.
I did a little research and saw that some french silk pie recipes use marshmallows to help the filling have a better texture and firm up better. Figuring that out was a big help and the next time I tried to make it, SUCCESS!!!!
I can’t wait for you to try this recipe, I have used this recipe when I teach cooking classes and it is always a favorite! Make sure you get this French Silk Pie on your list for Thanksgiving this year…or for dessert this weekend…;)
More pie recipes you’ve got to try!
- Brown Butter Raspberry Pie
- Best Pumpkin Pie
- Key Lime Pie
- Easy No-Bake Peanut Butter Pie
- Coconut Cream Pie
- Easy Eclair Pie
- Oatmeal Pie (Faux Pecan Pie)
- Mom’s Cherry Pie
How to Make French Silk Pie
Frequently Asked Questions
what type of crust is best for a french silk pie?
I prefer to make French Silk Pie in a homemade graham cracker crust but it also works great in a pre-cooked regular pie crust. If you choose a regular pie crust, the frozen ones work great and keep it simple. If you want your pie extra chocolaty, you can make it in an Oreo crust!
if i don’t have large marshmallows, can i use mini-marshmallows?
Yes, you can. You will need about 2.5 cups of mini-marshmallows if you substitute them for the large marshmallows.
does it matter if i use milk chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate?
No, in fact you can use any kind of chocolate you want as long as it is 6-8 ounces worth of chocolate. One of my favorite types of chocolate to use is the Hershey Symphony bar with toffee and almonds. Let me know what you try!
can i make a french silk pie dairy free?
I have never done it but I think it would work if you subbed out the milk for your milk alternative of choice and then instead of using whipping cream, you will need to whip some coconut cream and fold that in. I actually think it will taste awesome but the texture may be slightly thinner. You will also need to use a chocolate that doesn’t contain milk.
is french silk pie gluten free?
The filling of the French Silk Pie is gluten free but if you’re using a graham cracker or regular pie crust, they both contain gluten. To keep this recipe gluten free, you will either need to make a gluten free crust with gluten free graham crackers or find a gluten free crust option of your choice. Gluten free Oreo cookies would make a yummy chocolate crust!
- 12 large graham crackers, crushed
- 6 tbsp butter, melted
- 6-8 oz of your favorite chocolate bar or chocolate chips (if you're using a bar, chop it into small pieces)
- 18 large marshmallows
- ½ cup milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Cool Whip
- Grated chocolate
- Pre-heat oven to 375° Add melted butter to crushed graham crackers and stir until well combined. Press mixture into the bottom and sides of a 9-inch pie pan. Bake at 375° for 8 minutes.
- In a medium sauce pan, combine chocolate, marshmallows, and milk.
- Place over medium high heat and stir frequently until chocolate and marshmallows are melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Remove from heat and allow to completely cool.
- In a medium sized bowl, use a hand mixer to whip the heavy whipping cream and vanilla until soft peaks form.
- Fold the whipped cream into the completely cooled chocolate mixture. Pour the mixture into the crust and chill for at least 6-8 hours before serving. (chilling overnight is best)
- Right before serving you can spread cool whip on the top of the pie and garnish with grated chocolate. Or, if you prefer you can put a dollop of cool whip on each slice and sprinkle with grated chocolate.