Creamy, nutty, and with a hint of lemon and garlic, this Easy Hummus Recipe is going to be your new go-to when you need a quick snack to take on the go or want to add a simple appetizer to a meal. If you want to get real crazy, make some of my Homemade Naan Bread to dip in it. Delicious!
Most recipes will tell you that you need to boil the canned garbanzo beans before adding them, but if you know anything about me, you know I’m not going to tell you to do an extra (time-consuming) step unless it makes a significant difference to the taste outcome. I’m here to tell you that boiling them is not worth it, especially if you have a good blender or food processor that can cream them up nicely.
Homemade Hummus is actually really fun to make and super simple as long as you have the one ingredient that makes all the difference. That ingredient is tahini. Tahini is made from hulled sesame seeds and has a consistency that is comparable to runny, smooth peanut butter. It’s a vital ingredient when making hummus.
Another important ingredient many people don’t realize in hummus is cold water (ice-cold, if possible). Once you have the other ingredients mixed as smooth as they can get, you add a tablespoon of cold water at a time until it gets to the smooth consistency you prefer for your hummus.
My husband is obsessed with this, and now thinks I need to make it anytime we go on a road trip or any kind of picnic. I hope you give it a try and love it as much as we do!
More Dips You’ve Gotta Try
- Homemade Fiesta Ranch Dip
- Ultimate Seven Layer Bean Dip
- Homemade Ranch Dip
- Kale Dip
- The Best Chili Cheese Dip
- Buffalo Chicken Dip
step-by-step photos on how to make easy hummus recipe
Frequently Asked Questions & Tips about how to make Easy Hummus Recipe
what is hummus?
Hummus is a Middle Eastern creamy dip made of chickpeas, sesame paste (tahini), olive oil, and other seasonings. It’s served with vegetables, Naan Bread, and even used as a sandwich spread.
are garbanzo beans the same as chickpeas?
Yes. Chickpeas or garbanzo beans are a type of legume. They have a round-type shape and are beige, which is the most common variety. They are packed full of nutrients like protein and other vitamins and are high in fiber.
do I need to peel the skin off the garbanzo beans?
No, you don’t. You can if you want to make the dip super creamy. Either way, it does not change the flavor of the dip.
why is it important to use ice-cold water?
The ice-cold water helps to whip the hummus into a creamy texture similar to the consistency of homemade ice cream.
how should I store the hummus?
In the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 4 to 5 days. You can also freeze hummus in an airtight container for up to four months. Make sure to leave a little space at the top of the container because the hummus will expand a little. Pouring a little bit of olive oil on the top will help prevent moisture loss. When you’re ready to use it, thaw the hummus in the refrigerator for a few hours or overnight. Then stir the dip up to bring all the ingredients back to a creamy texture.
- Use a powerful blender to make the hummus.
- When adding the water, make sure to use ice-cold water. Put one or two ice cubes in a 1/2-cup measuring cup and then fill it up to the top with water.
- Make sure to drain and rinse the garbanzo beans before adding them to the blender.
- Use freshly squeezed lemon juice for the best flavor.
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans (also called chickpeas) drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup tahini
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice (approx. ½ a lemon)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus a little for drizzling on top
- ½ tsp sea salt
- Ice water, approx. 4-5 tbsp
- red pepper flakes (optional)
- parsley (optional)
- In a food processor or powerful blender like a Vitamix or Blendtec, combine the rinsed garbanzo beans, tahini, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, and salt. Blend until as smooth as possible.
- Next, add 1-2 tbsp of ice water at a time until it reaches your desired smoothness and consistency.
- Scoop into a serving bowl and use a spoon to make a circular pattern on the top. Drizzle with olive oil, and then sprinkle with red pepper flakes and chopped fresh parsley if desired.
- Serve with fresh veggies, pita chips, or naan bread.
Snacks perfect for On-the-Go