A beef roast and a few other simple ingredients are all you need for a delicious dinner and awesome leftovers to make your favorite Mexican dishes. This Easy Mexican Shredded Beef is a favorite for nachos, burritos, tacos, enchiladas, and chimichangas at our house. We can’t get enough. If you prefer pork, try this Easy Tex-Mex Shredded Pork.
My friend, Honoree, introduced me to this simple way to make awesome flavorful shredded beef. She is a great cook and a total foodie, so anything she ever made me was delicious. This shredded beef was no exception. It’s been a go-to around here for over 10 years now, and I can’t believe I haven’t posted it yet.
I’m so excited for you to try this yummy shredded beef. It is so flavorful! The best way to cook it is in the oven in a roasting pan that has a lid. If you don’t have one, you can also make it in a slow cooker. Cook it on low for 6 hours. Don’t forget to come back and tell me how you liked the recipe.
More Mexican Favorites
- Instant Pot Black Beans
- Copycat Chipotle Chicken
- Horchata Mexican Drink
- Slow Cooker Pineapple Salsa Chicken
- Sheet Pan Fajitas
- Salsa Chicken Enchiladas
Step-by-step pictures for how to make Easy Mexican Shredded Beef
Frequently asked questions for making Easy Mexican Shredded Beef
Can I use bottled crushed garlic instead of fresh?
The fresh garlic really adds to the amazing flavor of the finished meat. I have never used bottled. It tends to be less potent, so if it is all you have, I would suggest doubling the amount.
Can I use imitation lime juice?
Fresh is best, but if it is all you have, imitation will be fine. If you have the True Lime Packets, you will need 5 of them, and mix it with 2 tbsp of water before sprinkling it on.
Can I use lemon juice in place of lime juice?
Yes, you can. Fresh lemon juice will work great as well, but the more authentic flavor is lime.
Do I need to add any water to the roast when I cook it?
The recipe calls for 2 tbsp of water. With the additional 2 tbsp of lime juice, it is enough liquid. Just make sure to cover the pot tightly with a lid so all of the liquid is trapped inside and the roast won’t dry out.
Can I use a frozen Beef Roast?
It is best to defrost the roast as much as possible before cooking. The cooking time will increase if using a frozen roast.
Can I freeze the leftovers?
Yes, this shredded beef freezes really well. Just be sure to put it in an airtight Ziploc bag.
- 4-5 lbs of Beef Roast (chuck or bottom round)
- 8-9 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp salt per pound of meat (you can cut this to ¾ tsp salt per pound if desired)
- Juice of one or two limes (approx. 2 tbsp of fresh lime juice)
- 2 tbsp water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the roast in a large roasting pan with a tight-fitting lid.
- Add 2 tbsp of water to the bottom of the pan.
- Next, sprinkle the roast with ground cumin, oregano, and salt.
- Add the crushed garlic to the top of the roast, and then squeeze the lime juice over everything.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 3 hours or until meat shreds easily with a fork.
- Shred the meat and let it sit in its juices.
- Serve in a burrito bowl, nachos, tacos, or anything you prefer.
More Delicious Slow Cooker Recipes