I got some amazing Ecuadorian recipes from my sister who spent time living in South America. One of them is this Ecuadorian Yellow Rice. It pairs perfectly with Ecuadorian Lentil Stew or is just a great rice option for any of your favorite Mexican meals.
The ingredients are simple but the way you cook it is a little different from the traditional way rice is cooked. It takes a little more time than a standard rice recipe, but the unique texture is worth it!
Rice Recipes You Need in Your Life
- Coconut Rice
- Instant Pot Spanish Rice
- Easy Ham Fried Rice
- Oven Baked Cilantro Lime Rice Recipe
- Stove Top Spanish Rice
- Oven Baked Spanish Rice
Step-by-Step Pictures for making Ecuadorian Yellow Rice
Frequently Asked Questions for Making Ecuadorian Yellow Rice
Why is it yellow?
In Ecuador, they use achiote to get the color. Achiote is hard to find in the states so we use turmeric as a substitute in this recipe.
can i use garlic powder in place of fresh garlic?
I’m always going to tell you to use fresh if you’ve got it, but in a pinch, garlic powder should be fine in this recipe.
what type of rice should i use for this recipe?
Long-grain white rice is best.
how many servings will this make?
Between 6-8 depending on how hungry your family is.
is this Ecuadorian yellow rice gluten-free?
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups long grain white rice
- ¼ cup minced white onion
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 3 cups water
- Heat the oil over medium heat in 2-quart sauce pan. Add the minced onion and garlic and cook until onions are tender, about 2 minutes.
- Add the rice, salt, and turmeric and stir until the rice is coated by the oil.
- Add the water and bring to a boil. Stir as it boils and let the water reduce until it barely covers the rice.
- Reduce the temperature to low and cover with a lid. Cook for 20 minutes.
- When finished cooking, fluff with a fork and serve immediately.
- Serve as a side to Authentic Carne Asada, Ecuadorian Lentil Stew, and Homemade Flour Tortillas and enjoy!
Try these Indian Food Recipes
Leave a Comment