Frog Eye Salad reminds me of every family gathering and summer holiday of my entire life.
This salad is like an institution in my family. We all love it and I know you will love it too.
- 1¾ cup pineapple juice (reserved from canned pineapple)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2½ tsp salt, divided
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp cooking oil
- 1 16 oz package acini de pepe pasta
- 3 11 oz cans madarin oranges, drained
- 2 20 ounce cans pineapple chunks, drained and reserve juice
- 1 20 ounce can crushed pineapple, drained and reserve juice
- 1 8 oz carton Cool Whip
- 1 cup mini marshmallows, optional
- 1 cup shredded coconut, optional
- Drain all fruit and reserve pineapple for marinade sauce, place drained fruit in a covered bowl and refrigerate until needed.
- Boil acini de pepe in water with 2 tsp of salt. and 1 tsp cooking oil until tender, follow package directions. Drain and set aside.
- In a small or medium sauce pan, combine sugar, flour, and ½ tsp salt. Mix until combined. Stir in beaten eggs and pineapple juice. Cook gradually on Low-Medium heat until mixture thickens. Stir regularly, add lemon juice and then pour over cooked acini de pepe and stir until well combined.
- Put in a plastic or glass covered bowl and refrigerate over night.
- In the morning or before you are ready to serve, stir in Cool Whip until well combined and then add fruit and marshmallows and coconut. Gently stir until ingredients are evenly distributed. Keep refrigerated until serving time.
More family Favorites