I have been making these Ham, Potato and Egg Breakfast Burritos like a boss lately! Every time there is an away bus trip for wrestling, they ask parents to make breakfast burritos. These little beauties have become a favorite, and my son now requests them. They’re so good that I’ve also started making them for the family.
They make great fun and easy dinner. I love how easy it is to keep all the ingredients on hand. I also love that it’s a quick meal that I can take on the go for crazy busy nights when we’re trying to get everyone where they need to be. If you want to get really crazy, you could even make them with Homemade Tortillas…that would eliminate the “fast” part of their beauty, but man, would they be tasty!
More Take-it-on-the-Go Dinner Ideas
- Ground Beef Baked Taquitos
- Easy Baked Chicken Fingers
- Chicken Fried Rice
- Ketchup Sloppy Joes
- Easy Baked Chicken Taquitos
- Beef Broccoli Fried Rice
step-by-step photos for how to make ham potato and egg breakfast burritos
Frequently Asked Questions about how to make Ham Potato and Egg Breakfast Burritos
can I substitute the potatoes for frozen hashbrowns?
Yes. Whether you use shredded or diced frozen hashbrowns, you will need 2 cups of cooked hashbrowns for these burritos. Follow the directions on the package for cooking the hashbrowns.
do you recommend using canned potatoes?
Canned potatoes are a good alternative to fresh potatoes. If you choose to make them with canned potatoes, you will need two cans. Drain the potatoes, cut them into small diced pieces, and saute them until they are slightly brown.
will a Jimmy Dean breakfast skillet work in this recipe?
I haven’t used a breakfast skillet for this recipe, but I would recommend using two 18 oz packages. First, heat the breakfast skillet according to the package instructions. Next, cook the eggs in a separate skillet, and then combine the breakfast skillet with the scrambled eggs.
how can I keep the burritos warm?
Wrap the individual burritos in aluminum foil, and then place them in a crockpot on warm.
are breakfast burritos freezer friendly?
Yes. To freeze the burritos, wrap each burrito in plastic wrap or aluminum foil, and then place them in a Ziploc bag in a single layer.
how should I reheat frozen burritos?
You can reheat them in the microwave or the oven. For the microwave, remove the plastic wrap or foil, and place it on a microwave-safe plate. Heat in the microwave for 1-2 minutes until heated through. To reheat them in the oven, preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Remove the plastic wrap or foil, place them on a baking sheet, and bake for 10 minutes.
- 3 tbsp canola oil or butter, divided
- 12 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- 2 large potatoes or 4 small, diced small
- 1 cup onion, diced small
- 12 ounces ham, diced
- ¾ tsp salt, divided
- ¼ pepper
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- 12 burrito-size tortillas
- In a large skillet, over medium-high heat, add 2 tbsp butter or canola oil to the pan. Add the small diced potatoes and onion, ½ tsp salt, and ¼ tsp pepper. Sauté until potatoes are completely cooked. Add the ham pieces and sauté for another 5 minutes or until potatoes and ham are slightly browning. Set aside.
- Next, crack all the eggs into a mixing bowl. Add the milk and ¼ tsp salt and a few shakes of black pepper. Use a whisk to mix everything together until all yolks are broken and mixed.
- In another skillet, add 1 tbsp canola oil or butter and heat over medium-low heat. When the pan is hot and the butter is melted, pour the egg mixture in. Stir often paying close attention to the edges and bottom of the pan. Cook and scramble the eggs until they are done.
- Combine the eggs with the potato/ham mixture.
- Warm up the tortillas. (I leave the tortillas in the package unopened and put it in the microwave for 1 minute.)
- Put a few tablespoons of cheese in the center of a tortilla, add 1/12 of the egg mixture on top of the cheese, and fold the burrito. If not serving immediately, wrap in foil to keep warm or plastic wrap to freeze.
- If you plan to freeze them, make sure you put the wrapped burritos inside of a Ziplock bag to keep them extra fresh.
- You can also put burritos wrapped in foil in a crockpot on warm to keep warm until ready to serve.
Leave a Comment