I love Hawaiian Haystacks and have many different variations for the Chicken Cream Sauce part of them. If I am in a huge hurry I just add chicken and a few other simple ingredients to a can of cream of chicken soup.
If you don’t have cream (or want to make it less fattening) you can substitute 2 cups milk +1 tsp chicken bullion in place of the cream and one cup of chicken broth.
- 1-2 cups chicken, pre-cooked and cubed or shredded
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic segment, minced or crushed
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup cream
- ¼ cup cold water
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 2-3 tbsp sour cream
- salt and pepper
- milk or water if needed to adjust consistency (if you add a lot of milk or water, you may want to add another tsp of chicken bullion)
- Saute onion (don't forget to salt and pepper) in butter until transparent, add garlic and saute for 2 more minutes
- add chicken broth and cream
- Bring to a boil
- Stir the cornstarch into the cold water and pour into the boiling sauce, stiring constantly. Sauce will begin to thicken, add chicken and sour cream, heat through.
- Add milk or water to thin out sauce if it is too thick.
- Serve over rice with your favorite toppings. Our Family likes: Cheese, celery, green onions, tomatoes, pineapple, olives, slivered almonds, chow mein noodles, and soy sauce is a MUST.
I love me some Hawaiian Haystacks! If you have never tried them, don’t be scared of the unusual suggested toppings. And trust me when I say the soy sauce is a MUST! (La Choy not Kikkoman)
Keep it Real!!!