Quinoa is quickly becoming a favorite side dish around here–second only to rice. I think rice will always be my family’s favorite, but they gobble up the quinoa these days. It makes me so happy because quinoa is much more nutrient dense than rice. There are a few simple steps when making quinoa that make all the difference as far as the flavor goes. I am excited to teach you my favorite and–dare I say?–the BEST way to make quinoa.
In the pictures, you can see that I used multi-colored quinoa, but the taste doesn’t change if you use regular quinoa. Whatever you have on hand will work great! One cup of cooked quinoa has 8 grams of protein and 5 grams of fiber, while rice has about 4 grams of protein and less than 1 gram of fiber. Adding quinoa in place of rice is a great way to get more protein and fiber in your diet.
More High-Protein and High-Fiber Meal Ideas
- Cowboy Stew
- Creamy White Chicken Chili
- Sheet Pan Fajitas
- Instant Pot Lentils with Chicken and Sweet Potatoes
- Zucchini and Beef Taco Skillet
- Eggroll in a Bowl
Step-by-step Pictures for how to make the best quinoa
Frequently Asked Questions about How to Make the Best Quinoa
How do you cook quinoa?
When cooking on the stovetop, quinoa is a 2:1 ratio. You need to have a pot with a lid to cover the quinoa while it’s simmering.
What ratio of water to quinoa do you need to cook quinoa?
The ratio for cooking quinoa is 2:1. For example, two cups of water to one cup of quinoa.
Do you boil the water before adding the Quinoa?
Yes. You need to have the water boiling before adding the quinoa. Then you give it a stir, turn the heat to low, put the lid on, and cook for 15 minutes.
Can you cook quinoa in the INSTANT POT?
Yes. However, cooking quinoa in an Instant Pot is a 1:1 ratio. For this recipe, you reduce the amount of water to 1 cup and then add 1 cup of quinoa. Set the pressure to 1 minute. After it comes to pressure and cooks for 1 minute, allow it to naturally release for 15 minutes.
Is Quinoa a Grain or a Legume?
Quinoa is a grain.
How long can Quinoa be stored in the Refrigerator?
Quinoa can be stored in the fridge for up to five days.
Can you freeze Quinoa?
Yes. Cooked quinoa can be frozen in airtight containers for up to three months.
- ¼-1/2 cup yellow onion, diced small
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed or finely chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 3 cups chicken stock or 3 cups water + 3 tsp chicken bouillon
- 1½ cups quinoa
- In a 2-quart pot (that has a lid), saute the onion and garlic in the olive oil until the onions become translucent.
- Next, add the chicken stock (or water and bullion) and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling add the lemon juice and quinoa. Stir it, turn the heat down to low, cover with the lid, and cook for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes remove from heat and fluff with a fork.