If there’s anything better than a skillet meal, it’s a dump-and-set Instant Pot dinner. Chicken Taco and Rice Skillet has been a super popular recipe for the last few years. I decided it was high time to try it in the Instant Pot. And, boom baby! It works like a charm. It’s going to be your new go-to for a super quick weeknight dinner.
No chopping involved, just throw in a few simple ingredients and top it off with cheese when it’s done. My family loves to eat it with corn chips or even wrapped in a tortilla.
I like to use rotisserie chicken if I have it or pre-cooked chicken from the freezer but if your only option is raw chicken, all you need to do is sauté it quickly in the Instant Pot before you add the rest of the ingredients. I love this recipe because it uses very common ingredients that I almost always have on hand. If you have an Instant Pot, give it a try this week. You’ll love it!
Other Instant Pot Recipes You’ll Love
- Instant Pot Macaroni and Tomatoes
- The Best Instant Pot Macaroni and Cheese
- Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
- Instant Pot Creamy Chicken Pasta with Asparagus and Mushrooms
- Instant Pot Lentils with Chicken and Sweet Potato
- Instant Pot Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta
Step-by-Step Pictures for making Instant pot chicken taco and rice skillet
Frequently Asked Questions About Making Instant Pot Chicken Taco and Rice Skillet
what type of rice is best to use in this recipe?
Long-grain white rice is best for this recipe.
can i use brown rice in this recipe?
I have never tried it. It should work fine as long as you add about 1/4 cup extra water and set the Instant Pot for 22 minutes with a slow release of 10 minutes after it finishes cooking.
is this recipe gluten-free?
Yes! As long as you use a gluten-free chicken bouillon.
is there a salsa that you recommend using for this recipe?
I prefer Pace Picante Medium for this recipe. It adds a tiny bit of kick that isn’t too much for my kids.
how much chicken should I add?
I like to add about 2 cups but you can definitely add more than that if you want to up the protein.
can i use chicken stock instead of water and chicken bouillon?
Yes! I recommend adding a little extra salt. Probably about 1/8 teaspoon.
can i use canned corn instead of frozen corn?
Yes. Fresh corn adds a little bit of sweetness, so you might notice a slight difference if you’ve made it with frozen corn before.
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, drained
- 1 cup salsa, your favorite (we use medium because we like a little heat)
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup long-grain white rice, not cooked
- 1-2 cups chicken breast, cooked and shredded or cubed (can use canned if you prefer)
- 2½ tsp chicken bullion
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 1¾ cups water
- 2 tbsp olive oil or butter
- Put all ingredients into the Instant Pot, except the cheese.
- Stir and try to push everything down into the water as much as possible.
- Put the lid on the Instant Pot and set it on high pressure for 4 minutes. Once 4 minutes is up, let it slow release for 10 minutes. Then release any remaining pressure.
- Take the lid off and fluff contents with a fork.
- Sprinkle with cheese and return the lid (not sealed, just covered) to let the cheese melt for about 5 minutes.
- Serve with corn chips or tortillas if desired.
Mexican Dishes You'll Love
Trying this soon!! Looks so good!
Awesome! This recipe is so fast and easy and works perfect on the stove or in the instant pot.
i’ve wanted to try this recipe for so long! #marchgiveaway
It’s a great one! Super easy in the instant opt or on the stove! It’s so fun that you are in college and cooking for you and your roommates! Those were the days. 🙂
By far one of my all time favorites now. Everyone eats it, even the picky eaters, it’s easy and quick to make, it has so much flavor. I love everything about this meal!
Yay! You know I love hearing that even picky eaters like it! 🙂