Creamy garlic-infused noodles with tender chicken and mushrooms. This quick meal comes together in minutes when cooked in the Instant Pot. Instant Pot Chicken Tetrazzini is a new family favorite! If you love my The Best Instant Pot Mac and Cheese recipe, you will love this delicious and simple dinner.
Even though I’ve been doing it for a while, cooking pasta in the instant pot just blows my mind. I can’t believe how well it turns out. Besides cooking it really well, it also infuses whatever flavors you have in the broth into the noodles because they absorb almost all of the liquid as they cook. The garlic and chicken broth along with a few other flavors, give these noodles a super yummy flavor.
Once the noodles are cooked, you release the pressure and then stir in a mix of mozzarella and parmesan flavors. It leaves you with creamy delicious noodles that are the perfect complement to the tender pieces of chicken and the sliced mushrooms. Traditionally, Tetrazzini is made with spaghetti or fettuccine noodles, but this would turn out delicious with medium shells or rotini noodles too.
**I don’t recommend using fettuccine noodles for this recipe because they have a tendency to stick together in clumps.
More Italian Favorites
- Spaghetti Pasta Salad
- Amazing Manicotti Recipe
- Sausage and Sweet Potato Tortellini Soup
- Amazing Spaghetti Sauce
- The Best Homemade Alfredo Sauce Recipe
- Italian Sausage and Peppers Recipe
Step by step pictures for how to make Instant Pot Chicken tetrazzini
Tips for making Instant Pot Chicken Tetrazzini
- To skip the sautéing step use precooked chicken, canned mushrooms, and dehydrated onions (2 tbsp of dehydrated onions).
- Make sure to do alternating layers of the halved spaghetti noodles. If you don’t do this, they will stick together.
- Cooking time is for regular spaghetti, not thin or angel hair.
- If using medium pasta shells or rotini instead of spaghetti, cooking time will be the same, but you will need to stir them into the entire mixture instead of layering them on top.
- Place a hand towel over the release valve when you flip it so it can catch all the steam and moisture.
- When removing the lid, stir the pasta before adding the milk and cheese.
- Once you add the cheese, stir vigorously until it is unrecognizable and gives a nice creamy coating to the pasta.
- Serve with garlic bread or a side salad.
- 2 lbs chicken breast, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 8 ounces of mushrooms, sliced
- 5 tbsp butter, divided
- 1 small onion, diced small (about ½ cup)
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 tsp hot sauce or a pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 16 ounce package of spaghetti noodles
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2-4 tbsp milk or heavy cream
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Put three tablespoons of butter in the bottom of the Instant Pot. Set it to sauté and add the chicken, mushrooms, onion, garlic, and salt and pepper. Sauté until chicken is no longer pink.
- Add the hot sauce and stir.
- Next, layer the spaghetti noodles by taking about ⅙th of the package, breaking it in half, and laying them across the chicken mixture. Get another ⅙ of the package, break them in half and layer them in the opposite direction. Keep this up until you have used all of the noodles.
- Pour the chicken broth or stock over the noodles and give them a gentle push down to cover them as much as possible with the liquid.
- Put the remaining 2 tbsp of butter on top of the noodles. Put the lid on the Instant Pot and set at high pressure for 4 minutes.
- When the Instant Pot is finished cooking, do a quick release. I like to cover my valve with a hand towel to keep the moisture contained.
- Once the pressure has completely released, remove the lid.
- Add 2 tbsp of milk and stir.
- Next, add the cheese and stir vigorously until the cheeses melt and mix with the little bit of remaining liquid and milk to make a nice sauce that coats all the noodles. Pay attention to the bottom and sides of the pan as the cheese may try to gravitate to those areas.
- Serve immediately with garlic bread and/or a side salad.
Time for Dessert!