I’m still over here shouting it from the rooftops, “Pasta in the Instant Pot is Awesome!” Really, it is, I promise. If you’ve been nervous about trying a pasta recipe in your Instant Pot and can’t wrap your head around how it could possibly turn out well….don’t worry, you’re not alone. It took me over a year to finally try a pasta dish in mine.
Believe me when I say you’ll be so glad you took the plunge…and probably a little mad at yourself for waiting so long. If you’re like me you’ll become a bit obsessed. I basically can’t stop making pasta recipes, because guys, dinner’s that can be made this quickly are game changers for busy nights. I already have two more awesome ones on the docket, ready to share, that I just need to type up.
With the new baby, I’m still trying to figure out when the best times are for me to get blog work done. Usually Tuesday and Saturday nights are best, but this week Tuesday was too busy so I’m trying to squeeze some time in tonight (Thursday) to finally get this Instant Pot Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta, typed up. I have a goal to get two new recipes up every week and I am doing my darnedest to keep up with it. It feels good to have a goal to work on with the blog…If you follow me regularly, you know that I really let things go during my pregnancy. It feels so good to be back. I LOVE sharing recipes and it makes me so happy to be back at it!
This Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta recipe is actually the FIRST pasta recipe I tried in the Instant Pot and we all loved it. The slightly spicy, creamy tomato sauce pairs perfectly with pieces of tender white- meat chicken and penne or rotini pasta. It is sooooo simple to throw together and the Instant Pot only has to go for 5 minutes once it is at pressure. From Instant Pot to table, it takes about 30ish minutes. Boom Baby!
More Favorite Instant Pot Recipes:
- Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
- Instant Pot Lentils with Chicken and Sweet Potato
- Instant Pot Creamy Chicken Pasta with Asparagus and Mushrooms
When you cook pasta in the Instant Pot, you do a quick pressure release once it is done. This keeps the pasta nice and al dente. It also means the recipe is ready to serve almost immediately after it is done cooking.
For this recipe you saute the chicken, garlic and onion before adding the Cajun seasoning, pasta, diced tomatoes and water/broth. Once you add those ingredients you just need to secure the lid and set it for 4 minutes. While it is cooking you prep the cream cheese, heavy cream and Parmesan cheese so they will be ready to mix in right when you finish releasing the pressure. You will be surprised how quickly this meal cooks and how delicious and creamy and perfect the pasta turns out.
One thing to note with this recipe is that the level of spice can be adjusted by how much Cajun spice you decide to add. I use Tony Chachere’s Original Creole Seasoning and add 1 1/2 tsp. For my family this is just right. You can taste a little spice but nothing too overwhelming for the kids. If your kids aren’t used to a little spice occasionally though, you may want to try it with only one tsp.
I just love a good comforting pasta dish and this one is perfect! Serve it up with a side of your favorite steamed veggies and some crusty bread and MMMmm, MMmmm, Mmmmm, the whole family is going to love it!
I have an 8 quart Instant Pot like this one, but a 6 quart will work great with this recipe too.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 lb chicken breast, cut into small/thin pieces
- 1 lb penne or rotini pasta
- 1-1½ tsp Cajun seasoning (I use Tony Chachere's Original Creole Seasoning)
- 1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened and cut into 1 inch pieces (this helps it mix in nice and quickly)
- ⅓-1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated (you can use fresh grated or the Kraft green container type works great too)
- salt to taste
- Select the Saute button on your instant pot, Add the Olive oil, diced onion, crushed garlic and cut up pieces of chicken. Saute for approx 3 minutes or until chicken pieces are no longer pink.
- Add the penne or rotini pasta, the Cajun seasoning, diced tomatoes (with juices), chicken broth and water. Stir well and then try to pat everything down so that it is even in the pot. This helps the pasta cook nice and evenly.
- Secure the lid and press the beans/chili or meat button and set time to 5 minutes.
- When Instant Pot finishes, do a quick release. As soon as the release is finished, remove lid and add the heavy cream, cream cheese, and Parmesan Cheese. Stir until all combined.
- Serve immediately.